• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Farmer's market!

Well, it wasn't a secret that I was not happy to move out here to San Diego. However, other than the beach that makes me happy, I just found an amazing farmer's market!

We went this morning and got everything from blood oranges, to avacados, to swiss chard, to FRESH caught shrimp! I'm so excited right now. I've been juicing a lot and was so happy to find a place I could find organic, locally grown produce. They had everything there! I was really shocked to see all of the fresh fish they had as well, but it was just incredible. :)

How, one of the farmers I was talking too was telling me to make sure I use the greens from the beets and the radishes to put in my juices. Has anyone else used these greens before in their juicing? I look it up and seems like theres lots of nutrients in them.

nogutsnoglory

Yes I always use the green parts when I juice. Raw foodists maintain that the roots, leaves have the most nutrition.

Jim (POPS)

Jim (Pops)
Welcome to California, I live up north. You have only found out a little about this wonderful State. California is wonderful. Northern California is very different than the south. Make sure to come up north and not only to San Francisco but the wine counrty and all the way up.

Thanks nogutsnoglory!

I would love to Jim! I lived out in the Mojave Desert for about 3 years before moving back to KY and now back out here in Southern California.

I can't wait to be able to get up to Northern Cali. With a Marine Corps husband, and a 2 year old, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of time to spare, but hopefully in the next few years we're here we can explore some!

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Wow, I'm jealous! It's still winter here (we just got a foot of snow last week) and our farmer's market doesn't open for over a month. And when it does open it won't have a lot of fresh produce right away (mostly stuff like preserves, honey, eggs are at the farmer's market here in early spring). I'm getting a new juicer and can't wait to use it, and am very jealous that you can get fresh local produce already!

I know, originally when I found out I was moving, I was excited about the fresh produce possibilities out here, and then when we got here I kind of got out of my clean eating habits. Last week when I was taking Sadie to the park, I decided to start asking the locals around here where the good markets are, and was happy to find this one!

Seriously, they had everything! These colossal shrimp, scallops, mahi mahi and all kinds of other fish. I got blood oranges, which I never knew were so amazing! I'm really excited about it. They're open every Saturday morning. I spent about 40 bucks and came back home with all kinds of produce for the week :)

I know its silly, but finding it I feel has put a little pep in my step :) Something to be excited about.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
It's not silly, and I'm glad you've found something to be excited about. :) I think I had a blood orange once when I was visiting my step-grandmother in Florida, but that was years ago and I don't remember if it was good. Now I'm curious! We have a good seafood market here that sometimes carries colossal shrimp (they get it flown in from the coasts same-day so it's as close as we get to fresh seafood here). The hubby and I grilled some up on new year's eve this year, they were really yummy! Once again, I am totally jealous that you get all that stuff fresh & local.

Yes use the greens some can argue the healthiest part of the plant is what grows over dirt not under it. Congrats on finding an awesome farmers market, one reasons why I always wanted to move there.

Wow, I'm jealous! It's still winter here (we just got a foot of snow last week) and our farmer's market doesn't open for over a month. And when it does open it won't have a lot of fresh produce right away (mostly stuff like preserves, honey, eggs are at the farmer's market here in early spring). I'm getting a new juicer and can't wait to use it, and am very jealous that you can get fresh local produce already!
Still winter here too, but the Saturday market never closes, it's awesome. Not as many vendors in the winter of course, also because half of market square becomes an outdoor skating rink that is Zambonied every hour :) but in the summer we get all sorts of locally grown produce. There is also a farm just up the road from me, 3km, that sells produce roadside in the summer. They have greenhouses, so they have lot of stuff early.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Yeah, I think our Saturday market is technically open in the winter too, but I haven't ever been to the winter market and I think it's really small, and honestly I don't even know where it is! :p The summer market is great though, it's a full block going all around the state capitol with so many vendors and all sorts of yummy and interesting stuff (cheese curds!!). It's within biking distance although stuff isn't cheap there, so it's not an every week kind of a thing for me, but it is fun when I do have the opportunity to go.