• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Fast heart with pred

Hey I have recently been put back on pred at 40mg for a week and then tapering for a flare of crohns. I am still in my first week but find that my heart seems to be going quite fast. When I went to the Drs the other day before starting pred my pulse was 111, I suffer with anxiety too. I felt very anxious before seeing the dr and think it was up due to that. I have started taking 40mg of propanalol in the morning to try and slow my heart rate which seems to help. I spoke to my ibd nurse and she says steroids can increase heart rate as can anxiety and inflammation. I think because of my anxiety I am still a little worried, I saw my gp again the other day after the beta blockers and my pulse was 70. Has any one else experienced this? Is it normal? I feel very stressed about this 😞😞 thanks in advance x

I am currently on Entocort and I have been on prednisone. It doesn't stand out in my mind of an increased heart rate. See if it continues and maybe call your doctor.

Hi, I have had palpitations on pred before, same taper regime as you. I seem to remember they settled after being on it for a little while.

Thank you guys for your replys. Anything to do with the heart scares me! Which probably puts my HR up anyway. I am seeing my consultant on Wednesday so will mention it to him. I've done a bit more research and it doesn't seem to uncommon for a fast heart rate with crohns flare thankfully