• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Fastest you've lost weight

I'm rather baffled right now. I lost 10 pounds in 8 days. At 3,500 calories per pound that should have taken me twice as long eating absolutely nothing.

Has anyone else run into this kind of miracle, losing more than 4 pounds in a week?

Colt said:
I'm rather baffled right now. I lost 10 pounds in 8 days. At 3,500 calories per pound that should have taken me twice as long eating absolutely nothing.

Has anyone else run into this kind of miracle, losing more than 4 pounds in a week?
Funny you should ask this now...

Last Thursday to Monday (so 5 days) I lost 13lbs. 30+ trips to the toilet a day. I'm a bit better now.

i lost 20 kilo's over 2 months i think it was, but that was serious bad health and i really didnt need to lose it:(

I went from 85 to 65kg in three months before my first op. Lost a further 5kg over two weeks during my stay in hospital. By the time I got out I couldn't walk more than 100m without getting light headed.

I now have the opposite problem, I weigh 97kg and I can't seem to get the extra weight off.

I dropped about 30 pounds in 2 months Colt. When I was first got sick I was bouncing all around though and would lose some 10-12 pounds in a week then gain half it back the next.

I know what you mean Colt. I lost almost 20 kgs in around 2 months. I don't think I could lose that now even if i didn't eat a thing. Apparently the inflammatory process burns a hell of alot of calories (i think a doc told me this) I guess crohn's is like a hardcore exercise program without lifting a finger. Then I was put on pred and ate like some kind of deranged animal. This disease is excellent isn't it?

i don't ever weigh myself - only get weighed at my hospital appointments, but i go by how my clothes (jeans) fit me. i lost loads of weight over the past 3 weeks not due to Crohn's but to a tooth infection! just couldn't eat for the pain and feeling so poorly. i could pull my tightest jeans down without unzipping them lol.

Ha, ha... Ding, I use the "Jeans" method of weight management too.
I only get weighed at the hospital.

My fastest weight loss was while I was in hospital before Christmas. 12kg (26 pounds) in 3 days. It sounds extreme, but It was just after I had my operation and I went through a bowel obstruction. I didn't eat for 3 days and as vomiting up bile at a rate of 1 litre every 3 hours. I put 6-7kg back on fairly quickly again and I've stayed at 83kg (13 stone) since.

The oddest thing, I was vomiting so much fluid, yet I hadn't drank/eaten anything at all.

Fastest for me was 2stone (28lbs) in about 3 weeks. Since lost another stone over a much more healthy timescale!

I'd love to give my information on this, but sadly, I haven't lost a pound since my daughter was born 6.5 years ago. :( I've gained enought though............ Here's to hoping the Humira will give me lots of energy in the near future! ha ha.

I have to say that I agree with Colt though -- 10 pounds in a week is quite a bit, but it seems you have all gone through some quick weight loss.

The first time I was diagnosed I lost 30 pounds in 3 months (155 to 125), the second big weight drop was 25 in 2 months (150 to 130). Now I'm at a point with the Remicade that I lose about 5-7 pounds every 4-6 weeks in one week, but I then gain it back and lose it again before the next infusionc (hover now around 140ish).

Ooh, kromom, me too! I lost about 30 pounds in 1.5 weeks, with an NG tube down by throat and not being able to eat during my ileus! Of course, I gained it all back pretty quickly, but it was pretty impressive.

The first time I got sick I think I lost about 30-40 pounds in two-three months.

I lost almost 20 pounds in less than 3 weeks, which was fast. It was almost as if it was all there one day, then I got really sick and it all plummeted off.

It makes it so hard though, with the anorexia, because I fall into old habits...

when i was flaring (before i realized it was Crohn's), i would regularly lose 4 pounds a week and then when i was really sick, i lost 8 pounds in a week.

i assumed it was mostly water weight... but i dunno, i lost actual inches too. and the weight had stayed off for a couple months, so usually if it's water weight, it fluctuates... so i guess it was fat/muscle loss.

in total i lost 40 pounds but i don't know how many months it was.