• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Fasting and IBD?

Have you ever tried water only fasting

• Yes, for 1-3 days

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Yes, for 4-7 days

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Yes, for 8+ days

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nope, never tried!

Votes: 17 65.4%

• Total voters
Please tell me you have tried water fasting for at least 3-4 days (no food at all and nothing but water) (with the necessary juice only day to come off the fast).

I have heard it can be very successful with a prolonged fast (7-10 days).

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Some people have to rest the bowels but it isnt recommended because of nutrition loss. You can have bowel rest with Ensure too , there are clear and cream types so I go that route when I need too, which isnt often. I rarely drink Juice, has more sugar and that is worse for crohns. Good luck!

David

Co-Founder
I've added a proper poll to this thread, feel free to vote away.

I personally have WANTED to do a prolonged water fast, but the longest I've ever made it was two days. I'm so addicted to food but my intention IS there. It makes sense to me that it would help.

I have now fasted for 2-3 days every week for several weeks. I have lost 20 pounds and feel fantastic. I've also done a lot of research about fasting and it is fine for most people as long as they drink a lot of water.

I am also addicted to food, so I locked up the food (chain on refrigerator, lock on pantry) and used positive meditations with a cup of tea when I needed comfort. I can't stress enough how good I feel.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Hey it is a good idea if you WANT to lose weight, but you have to pick up the nutrition loss somewhere and take vitamins. To lose that much weight for someone who is underweight or ideal weight is not a good thing. I was told by my Gi that as a general rule most crohns patients should have at least 10 lbs on them. When I lost 40 lbs in two months I was weak and not healthy. I loved the weight loss but my doc said...now if you were to get sick again and you lost another 20 lbs or more, you can have cardiac arrest. Being underweight is far more dangerous...but as of now, I dont have that problem lol ;)

I have tried fasting, one 24hr fast in each of the last 2 weeks, and the results have been awesome!!

I have a friend who is a pro athlete trainer, and extreme health nut, and he recommends fasting to everyone. The nutrient loss in such a short period of time is minimal, especially if you are still taking supplements (quality multi, D, efa's etc) He even works out on days that he is fasting and says there is no difference. He says your body gets used to not having food (fuel) at its disposal, and starts to use what it gets more efficiently.

I am planning on trying some longer ones in the next couple weeks.

The juice you are consuming at the end, is best if its pure vegetable juice, (juice your own) instead of the sugary crap at the store.