• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Father w/recently diagnosed CD daughter

Hello, I am a father of a daughter who was recently released from hospitalization due to her first CD flare.

I wanted to share a few things...

First, a very sincere thank you to those who started, moderate and contribute to these forums. Simply using the search button helped to answer many questions I had.

If I were to share the single most helpful thing I purchased during this whole ordeal, it would be the bidet we purchased, a Luxe Bidet Neo 320. I don't work for this company, but it really helped my daughter who had > 10 BMs per day. I'm sure there are other similar cheap bidets out there that work just as well - this one really worked for her.

Also, before and during her hospitalization, to get her mind off the pain, she would try to remember the most relaxed place she has ever been, which for her was in a hammock on a white sandy beach. Remembering the details of the sights, sounds and smells really helped - i.e. the soft white sand, the cool ocean breeze, gental sway of the hammock, etc. really helped her during the pain flares. For us, prayer also greatly helped during these times.

Thank you again - I hope some of this can also help you.

One more thing about pain - the doctors hooked her up with the "pain button" for her IV which dosed her with pain meds when she needed them, without allowing her to take to much over a longer period of time.

However, they accidently gave her the IV version of Ibuprophen, which is a big no-no. This happened because her "pain team" doctor did not consult with her GI doc. Lesson learned: make sure _all_ pain meds are approved by the GI doc.

Sounds like you are well up on the learning curve, and I wish all the best for your daughter and your family. Pretty scary though when we need to make sure our doctors are doing their jobs correctly.