• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Fatigue and Steriods - curious if others feel same

Hi all
Diagnosed in feb 12 after about 5 months bad bowel. Been on imuran and mezavant since. Also took 20mg Steriods for first while and reduced it down. Went into remission and doc stopped all Steriods in March. Since then I've had
CMV infection with secondary pneumonia
Fissures
Big flare up
Been in hosp twice. Back on huge doses of steroids IV based for 5 days then down to 40mg a day tapering by 5 mg every week

Big issue is I am exhausted. I am 40 but feel 20 years older. Have 2 small kids ( 3 and 5 months)

Anyone else find the tiredness amazing! Anyone got any great tips for me

Starting on infliximab infusions but only had one and got a UTI so waiting on second
Hope it gives you energy :)

Thanks in advance for your feedback
Joh

My son described Prednisone as being exhausted but having insomnia. Sleep was hard for him.

Inflammation in your body, along with your body trying to heal itself will cause a unique kind of exhaustion. I was in my early 30's when I was diagnosed with Transverse myelitis (autoimmune spinal inflammation) and I remember being exhausted. I could feel it in my legs if I even walked up the stairs. For the first time in my life I had to lay down every day in the afternoon. As the inflammation went down, it got better and better. Being on Prednisone will help the inflammation quickly but the side effects of Prednisone can give you a similar feeling.

Hang in there. It takes time to heal, but the exhaustion will get better. ((((Hugs))))

When I was on Prednisone, I had the opposite effect - I was so energetic that it made me jumpy, like a kid with ADD.

Prednisone works in mysterious ways. :yfaint:

My son described Prednisone as being exhausted but having insomnia. Sleep was hard for him.
This is the way I've been feeling as well. I was on 40mg tapering down and now on 25mg this week. I am so tired, but cannot sleep through a full night without constantly waking up which leaves me feeling exhausted all the time.

Hey johnnysmom
That's a great description. Exhaustion with insomnia!!
I know the legs feeling too. Have no stairs thank god :). But they are like spaghetti

Ah well. What to do hey. Thanks for the replies

Get better all

Hi guys im new here and im going through a flare up been given prednisolone 30mg for 5 days then reduce 5mg every 3 days :0

Flare up was brought on by antibiotics :( used to treat the shingles!!