• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Fatigue is ruining my life - please please help me!

Hi all. I am asking for any advice or help anyone can offer, as Im struggling here! I have posted my story long a while ago but heres a brief (ish) summary:

Had crohns for 12 years. 2 years ago spent a while in hospital having 3 surgeries for 6 fistulas and 3 abscesses! Awful few years with it all and the extensive damage and fistulas left me incontinent, so had a colostomy bag fitted in May last year. Ive been on Humira for 18mths now with no issues or side effects and it has kept me in remission very nicely. I have no complaints at all about Humira. I have had numerous other issues - large cyst in my eye, breathing problems and recently Ramsey Hunt syndrome (awful nerve virus left my face paralysed and ear pain and dizzsyness). I have not been able to work for 3 years and have recently been advised that the crohns and extensive endometriosis that I had, have left me infertile. So as you can imagine the depression I have suffered hass been bad.

Now, fingers crossed, I am in remission and have fought hard to get through the depression and over all the obstacles. But I am sooooooo tired. I have always suffered with fatigue, but over the last few months it is out of control! If I sit for more than 10 minutes I am asleep. I have no motivation to do anything and cant seem to move on with my life. We are in a position to start IVF and we are both very excited, but I am a little overweight (Im sure Im the only crohns person in the world that struggles to get weight off!) and I want to loose weight, get fit and get out more, but Im exhausted. Its making me very mad and upset and I have no idea what to do. I try not to drink too much caffeine, but if I have one energy drink I have the best day ever! I am waiting for another set of bloods to come back that is testing everything - B12, iron, being the mains ones, but I get tested all the time and the levels are always fine.

Has anyone got/or had the same issue? Has anyone got any ideas what to do? Any help would be greatly appreciated, I know if anything with help you guys will :thumright:

I am glad that Humira is helping you and you are proactive in getting your B12and blood levels checked. First of all, do you get at least 8 hours of sleep at night? Do you snore? If so, you might want to get a sleep study done to rule out sleep apnea and other sleep disorders.

You may also still be depressed either from your health situation or from the weather. It is very common that people suffer from winter blues or Seasonal Affective Depression during this time of year because daylight is short at this time of year.

Another thing that can help is to try to go to the gym and try to do a little exercise (walking on a treadmill) and then increase it when you can. Exercise can help boost oxygen levels and self-confidence, and this can also help with depression.

I have to say my sleep is pretty good. I dont snore, my husband says I hardly even move, Im asleep soundly and rarely wake before our alarms! Its normally 8 hours or more, so no issues there.

I think the depression can be there even if you dont think it is. I know this can make the fatigue worse. I never thought about the weather - Ill have a look into that thanks.

Ive been so poorly and fed up over the last few months I have not done any exercise for ages. Maybe that has made me worse - its really hard to get motivated to go to the gym when your so tired. Im guessing though that would help with the depression. I think I fret that if I push things too much I will run myself down and either have a flare or catch something else! Ive turned into such a worrier after a bad few years.

Thanks - I think Ive just realised I need to get up and get on with it! Stop worrying and start doing stuff. Thats why this forum is great one response and Im already feeling a bit better :thumright::ysmile:

My hemoglobin and hematocrit (the usual indicators of anemia) were always normal. My ferritin (iron stores) level was at rock bottom. I had a series of iron infusions, and after about 6 weeks, my energy level went up dramatically.

I have had 15 things tested in my recent blood tests! inc thyroid, diabetes, gallbladder functions, liver and kidney function , B12, Iron, CRP and coeliac disease to name a few! Im actually dreading the results I think!

i also and very tired and get very depressed, am overweight due to the constant steriod intake, I dont have the energy to do anythign really, only what i have too and then it is a struggle, you are not alone x

If you find anything that helps let me now x

Spooky1

I too suffer extreme fatigue. Its hard to even drive short distances with the tiredness and muscle fatigue. i can sleep during the day too. but i do have disturbed nights with pain, and loo breaks, my joints also cause me trouble at night.

are you getting enough b12? try sublinguals of cyanocobalamin(b12), very cheap.

also, try eating yogurt, activia with bifidobacteria or what they refer to as bifidus regularis which is really b. animalis.