• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Fecal calprotectin test

Hello, I am new to the forum and first time posting.

I've had stomach/bowel issues for at least 5-6 years. Kept being told ibs by every gp I visited. It has been a lot worse since having my son a year ago.

Finally a dr has listened to me and having family history of ibd, I have sent off a stool sample to have a fecal calprotectin test.

Does anyone know how long the results take please?

We are in the uk and can take up to a week for the results. Although the tests have always been false negatives for my daughter. Have they done blood tests or any endoscopy?

I just had one done recently and it was within a week's time or less that I got results back. By the way, welcome to the forum.

I've been calling all week.

The lab received the sample but no results yet :-( all this waiting is causing my anxiety to rocket.

The test is the "gold standard" of inflammation levels. The results will be what they are, and will be used as a marker for progress. Any additional stress about the test will only serve to create a worse situation in your gut. I know anything we say won't help until you see the numbers, but the test won't tell you what is happening exactly, just what the inflammation markers are. It's one of the first steps to establish where you are, so going forward, any therapies and lifestyle changes can be evaluated as to whether they are working or not. Rest assured!

The test is the "gold standard" of inflammation levels. The results will be what they are, and will be used as a marker for progress. Any additional stress about the test will only serve to create a worse situation in your gut. I know anything we say won't help until you see the numbers, but the test won't tell you what is happening exactly, just what the inflammation markers are. It's one of the first steps to establish where you are, so going forward, any therapies and lifestyle changes can be evaluated as to whether they are working or not. Rest assured!
Yes

So I rang my dr this morning, made them ring the lab while I waited on the phone. My sample has been sent to another hospital now for more in depth testing and will be another 2 weeks :-(

scottsma

My tests can take up to a month + so please don't be concerned about the delay.In fact every result,ie;mri,colonoscopy always takes an age, and GI appointments can be up to 3 months.
I understand your anxiety though. I hope you get a diagnosis soon and start to feel better.
Please keep us posted....Welcome to the forum.

Not all hospitals do this test and have to be sent away to another hospital. This was the case at my local up until a year ago. Now they do process it at my hospital but a batch is run every 3 weeks. So if a sample arrived the day after the last batch was run, it would be 3 weeks.