• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Fecal leakage without fistula?

(I just let out a chuckle because this is probably the only forum where nobody would be surprised by a thread title like that...)

Anyway...

I have had a large amount of fecal leakage lately and I am wondering if this is normal or if it may be an indication of a fistula. I have had two surgeries for recto vaginal fistula and was warned that this could cause weakening of the sphincter muscles. Fecal leakage is nothing new to me, but with the recto-vag fistulas it was pretty obvious what was going on. Since it's coming out where it's supposed to so to speak, I am not sure if it's a fistula or just normal "Chronie" dribble (well, it's quite a bit more than dribble, which is why it's so irritating). I was just wondering if anyone else experiences this?

sawdust

Hiya Cookie. In my experience, either is possible, and my doctors were quite interested in finding out which it was quickly. I would mention it to your doctor and see what they'd like you to do. :hug:

Sailorluna: I am feeling pretty well otherwise. I do not have the horrible, 20 trips to the toilet, big D that I usually have with a flare. I do have issues with cramping, bloating etc, but I think it can be just IBS related. My last colonoscopy was in April and I was in remission.
Sawdust: My GI says that the leakage is probably a result of the two surgeries. He does not seem too interested in investigating. Of course, I haven't seen him in 6 months, so i have not mentioned how much it has increased. Maybe an appt is in order.

Thanks to both of you for your input on this lovely subject.

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
Yup - I have the occasional issue with that - I know I have decreased sphincter tone - also during certain times it is easier to 'lose contol' of the muscle- which can be pretty annoying!

Hi there Cookie, Yeah, I have this problem and have had it for years. It can make moving around at all VERY UNCOMFORTABLE. I sympathize with you. My doc.s in the past have never mentioned anything to do about other than just deal with it. Are you having to use cotton or pads???

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Ya I'd contact your GI to try and get the cause figured out for sure and talk about your options. As mentioned bad inflammation can cause it as well so be sure if its that or a weak muscle etc. Don't let them blow you off so keep bugging them until you get an answer you're satisfied with or get a second opinion cause not knowing is no way to live.

Hi there Cookie, Yeah, I have this problem and have had it for years. It can make moving around at all VERY UNCOMFORTABLE. I sympathize with you. My doc.s in the past have never mentioned anything to do about other than just deal with it. Are you having to use cotton or pads???
I usually wear a panty liner. I can also usually feel it happening, so I can usually get to the bathroom to clean it up. It is usually worse when my stools are soft. the other thing I have noticed is how bad it smells. Way worse than a normal bowel movement. Is that the case for you too? It's completely embarrassing. I have stopped going to my yoga classes because of it.

I have the same leak - weak muscle tone and post fistula surgery anatomy change in anal area is my cause. I have to wash after each BM and wear a pad.