• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Feel a bit like a weenie!

I feel like a weenie because I've read through many of your stories and would have to say that I'm fortunate compared to some of the horrible experiences many have had! In 2009, I developed an anal abscess and, like many, had no clue what it could be. I saw my gynecologist (figured it was "down there" and he should know what it was!) and he didn't know what it was :). He referred me to a GE. The GE knew it to be an abscess but didn't think it was crohns and gave me Flagyl which did nothing. My GP also was aware of it and I would call her in tears when it was too painful. It finally burst and drained incessantly....which was honestly a relief! I developed a second abscess on the other side. I finally dealt with the fistulas that had developed and in 2013 I had surgery to drain them...the surgeon couldn't find an internal opening and didn't want to create one to place setons. The fistula returned within a few months of the surgery and I have just dealt with them until recently. At that time, I had a prometheus test that came back positive for crohns and an MRI that showed thickening of the mucousal wall in the jejenum. A blood test (not a biopsy, though) showed positive for celiac. Although I have had periods of constipation (like, should I call an ambulance or what? :ywow: HA!), then diarrhea, and recently blood in my stool, I would read stories on here and KNOW that my story was no where near as bad as many have experienced. I have received second and third opinions....several doctors feel I have crohn's but my surgeon was unsure. However, as other issues have come up....a horribly painful experience with an inflamed cornea, now pain in my left hip that wakes me up at night, and sores in my mouth (I always thought it was from eating tomatoes!), I had a heart to heart with my GP (she and my current GE feel strongly that I have Crohn's) and started on prednisone yesterday and Humira today. I struggled with taking medications because of the horror stories and I have friends who are into natural health and scared me about these drugs. I thought I could control everything through diet and exercise, taking glucosamine and drinking tumeric tea. When I would 'fall off the wagon' with my diet, it would put me into a state of indecision and leave me blowing in the wind. I finally bit the bullet and feel like I'm taking control of the situation in the best way that I know how. Looking forward to getting to know you all!

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Hi mellie and welcome to the forum! :)

I'm so sorry you had to go through all that pain. I really hope the Humira gets this under control for you. Prednisone generally works within a few days but the Humira could take weeks to a few months (everyone is different, for me my joint pain went away after two weeks). You can definitely continue with changing your diet as tackling the disease from all angles is important. Please keep us posted on how you're doing.

Hi Mellie, welcome!

All your issues could be Crohns related, like the inflammation off the eye, joint pains and the mouth sores I all have had from Crohns.

Did you ever had a colonscopy? I could not find it in you story, because the biopsies from that could give you a clear answer to your question that you may have Crohns. But to my ears it does really sound like it indeed.

And the medication are indeed heavy but they can really help you out, hope you will feel the effects soon!

Good luck!
xx Maud

I feel like a weenie because I've read through many of your stories and would have to say that I'm fortunate compared to some of the horrible experiences many have had! In 2009, I developed an anal abscess and, like many, had no clue what it could be. I saw my gynecologist (figured it was "down there" and he should know what it was!) and he didn't know what it was :). He referred me to a GE. The GE knew it to be an abscess but didn't think it was crohns and gave me Flagyl which did nothing. My GP also was aware of it and I would call her in tears when it was too painful. It finally burst and drained incessantly....which was honestly a relief! I developed a second abscess on the other side. I finally dealt with the fistulas that had developed and in 2013 I had surgery to drain them...the surgeon couldn't find an internal opening and didn't want to create one to place setons. The fistula returned within a few months of the surgery and I have just dealt with them until recently. At that time, I had a prometheus test that came back positive for crohns and an MRI that showed thickening of the mucousal wall in the jejenum. A blood test (not a biopsy, though) showed positive for celiac. Although I have had periods of constipation (like, should I call an ambulance or what? :ywow: HA!), then diarrhea, and recently blood in my stool, I would read stories on here and KNOW that my story was no where near as bad as many have experienced. I have received second and third opinions....several doctors feel I have crohn's but my surgeon was unsure. However, as other issues have come up....a horribly painful experience with an inflamed cornea, now pain in my left hip that wakes me up at night, and sores in my mouth (I always thought it was from eating tomatoes!), I had a heart to heart with my GP (she and my current GE feel strongly that I have Crohn's) and started on prednisone yesterday and Humira today. I struggled with taking medications because of the horror stories and I have friends who are into natural health and scared me about these drugs. I thought I could control everything through diet and exercise, taking glucosamine and drinking tumeric tea. When I would 'fall off the wagon' with my diet, it would put me into a state of indecision and leave me blowing in the wind. I finally bit the bullet and feel like I'm taking control of the situation in the best way that I know how. Looking forward to getting to know you all!
your are not teenie, we've each got diff pains and other messes.If you're suffering... then, you're akin to many of us.
I'm old school & too chickenshit to take natural stuff in attempt to help my crohns. Immune system is defunct, I'll personally stick with stuff that has had Trials, Studies done.
Really,there's no
sure fix..
Most important is to get educated about cond. Support GPS so helpful!
Hang in there with us CHRONIE..

Hey Mellie, you are so not a weenie. That sounds awful, hope you start picking up soon. I'm experiencing the same old fistula joy of joys too at the mo 😐 Defective bums really are the gift that keep giving aren't they? 😐 Take care on the prednisone worked great for me for years on and off 😊