• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Feel like Im loosing my mind!

Hi All,

Well I have been going ok off all drugs 6 weeks now go back to the GI on Wed for a check up will see what happens then. I seem to have mini attackes every 2 - 3 weeks at the moment and thankfully they land on a weekend so I haven't had to miss any work.

However since all this started back in August last year I have struggled to sleep in our new bed that we purchase using our wedding gift money. I had been sleeping in it for about a month before getting sick then everytime I tried to sleep in it seem to get worse and make me nausated and sick. I know very strange wasn't sure if it was too soft and putting pressure on my insides or what. I moved an old shitty single mattress into our bedroom next to our bed and have pretty much been sleeping on that ever since, it is alot harder then our new bed. Also found when I was away didn't have any issues on the bed I slept on but again harder mattress. Every time I try our new bed I sleep fine up until I wake up about 5am with nausea! Then lay there for another couple of hours hoping the nausea will stop, but end up just getting up.

I know it sounds like I have head issues and maybe I do, I wouldn't think a bed could possible make you sick but then again with this disease I have found so many things that can trigger it off and make me sick so why can't a bed?

Im not really sure if I have a question in there anywhere just really venting and wanting some reassurance. Maybe if anyone else has issues with sleeping and nausea you could let me know. Im just really over not being able to sleep beside my hubby and also the fact that if I can't tolerate this bed then we will need to look into another one (more money) and my hubby loves this one so makes it kinda hard.

God I sound like a head case this is what happens when Im having a bad day! :)

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
I dunno if this would work or not but maybe you could try to put a piece of wood under the mattress on your side to keep the mattress from sagging any further. Or maybe find some firmer thin padding to place on your side under the sheet. Or you could steel one of those machines that force stuffing into teddy bears from say a build a bear shop and then firm up your side. :p

No I've never had that problem. Since the bed is new, the one thing that came to my mind was what if there's something like a chemical smell that makes you sick and that maybe you're more sensitive to it? Only problem I've had with beds is that most hurt my back. Perhaps you may have a developing back problem cause stress on the back can cause abdominal discomfort.

Hi Orchard, yep we have a recliner which I had tried worse thing is Im a side sleeper so I think that has alot to do with it all.

I will give the new bed another go next weekend and see how I go. Otherwise it will be the mattress on the floor for a while until I save up for another mattress for our bed.

Just very over trying to work this disease out and over having mini attacks every couple of weeks. I know I have it heaps better then alot of people on here but its been over six months now since being diagnosed and I feel like we haven't found a good solution for me yet.

CrabbyRelish said:
I dunno if this would work or not but maybe you could try to put a piece of wood under the mattress on your side to keep the mattress from sagging any further. Or maybe find some firmer thin padding to place on your side under the sheet. Or you could steel one of those machines that force stuffing into teddy bears from say a build a bear shop and then firm up your side. :p

No I've never had that problem. Since the bed is new, the one thing that came to my mind was what if there's something like a chemical smell that makes you sick and that maybe you're more sensitive to it? Only problem I've had with beds is that most hurt my back. Perhaps you may have a developing back problem cause stress on the back can cause abdominal discomfort.
Yeah funny you should say that at first I went back and double checked what the mattress was made of seeing as I was getting sick everytime I slept on it. But seems it wasn't that. Your probably right I most likely have a back problem or something like that that is causing discomfort internally so making me sick.
Someone else recommended the board under mattress not sure that would work cause its a hard base with a pillow top. I have tired getting an overlay but it was still too soft would need to look into a hard one. Thanks for the tips.. just driving me crazy that I can't sleep in my new bed that I spent a fortune on.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Put the piece of wood on top of the mattress? :p

Even a box spring has some give but there would be less give if say the mattress was on the floor. The board acts as the floor would basically. You might be able to find a scrap piece of wood at a hardware store that they will either let you have or pay less for (would be cheaper than a new mattress if it works).

I had a similar problem to yours (before I was diagnosed with Crohn's) with our bed, but it didn't involve nausea. MY husband and I bought a Tempurpedic about 3 years ago and when we moved up to Chicago about a year and a half ago it seemed like I was waking up with TERRIBLE back pain from the bed. I would toss and turn and would spend many nights sleeping on our futon mattress, which was considerably harder than the Tempurpedic. We were worried the Tempurpedic mattress was too soft for us because my husband was complaining of back pain as well. But on occasion we would both have restful night sleeps, so then we thought it might be the couches we bought from the Salvation Army that don't have terribly supportive backings to them. Well, it wasn't until December of last year when I went into the hospital and found out I had an abscess and was introduced to my problem with IBD that I realized my back problems were 100% due to my illness and the abscess. Once I recovered from the abscess and returned home I slept like a baby and have slept peacefully every night since. So, I do NOT think you are a head case! Haha.

What kind of mattress do you have? Is it made out of a fabric you've never had before? Maybe you have a bad allergy to the fabric?

Sometimes when the body compensates for pains somewhere it can put strain on other parts. I realize that was the case with my abscess even long before I showed stomach symptoms. In another instance I remember in college I lived in an apartment with a community laundry. I used to wait until my hamper was full to the brim before doing laundry so I could do big loads all at once. Well, I lived on the 2nd story, so I always had to lug my hamper down the stairs and without realize it I was straining muscles and I ended up with severe groin pain where I could barely walk. The doctor my mom works for suggested I be aware of heavy things I pick up and ever since then I never had those groin pains.

I know you didn't really describe pain as your main concern, but perhaps nausea is the way your body is telling you that something is not in balance. I'm interested to find out what it could be! Keep us posted! :)

Thanks Crabby will look into try the board thing will try anything at the moment.

Dream... thanks for your experience.. Mine all started the exact time I got sick with crohns! So I thought once it has settled down I would be fine but then again I can't say it has fully settled down yet considering Im still have small flares every couple of weeks. I had been sleeping on it fine for 4 weeks then on morning work up with severe lower back pain, nausea, vomiting and the runs. Well this continued for a week before I decided to move to the floor. Got better but my back pain continued and the nausea would come and go had it most mornings but not the extent with the new bed. Finally got diagnosed 5 weeks later and realised why I had such bad back pain. I have actually notice the back pain is back!! Start two weeks ago it had been nice not having it.. but haven't noticed it was bad when sleeping las night. You are right tho if something is up with your body it is going to effect the way you sleep. This disease does some really strange things with our stomach and I find Im sensitive to everything so thats probably just it. I did check the fabric on the mattress etc but just could figure anything out that I would be allergic too. Will keep trying and see how I go. Will speak with my GI on wed about everything too. Im trying acupunture on Friday too see if it helps with my pain. Trying to decide if going back on medication is the best solution considering Im still having small flares but was getting these while on med too. Its all so confusing Im glad I have a place to come and vent and know other understand what Im going thru and my fears. If I was to tell any of my friends this they would just look at me as if I crazy!

Yeah, acupuncture may help. I was thinking of seeing a chirpractor it had gotten so bad, but I ended up in the hospital instead, haha. ;-)

Yeah I go to a chiro as well and it does help. Also do yoga as I have bad upper back/tension heads and joint pain that is from crohns. We are so lucky to have this disease and everything it brings!! :)

shazamataz said:
Hey Tan, perhaps you just don't want to sleep with your hubby ;)
Hi Shaz... Ha..ha.. too funny. I must admit he is pretty happy having a king size bed to himself the greedy boy :ylol2:

How bad is it only been married 9 months and not sleeping in the same bed! Isn't that meant to happen when your old. Oh well Im sure will sort it out at some point and get back in the bed.

Glad to see you on here!! :)

hey tan we havent been on for a while,things are going ok for bindi at the moment.no change with her aorta so thats good or bad i dont know,but she is struggling with chronic tonsilitis.sounds like you are getting fed up!i have no solution for your bed,but if you arent getting a good sleep you will never feel really well so keep trying everything,what if you took the bed out and slept on the matress on the floor?whats the weather like. in Bundy it hasnt stopped rainning for a week i am so over it!!we have had 950ml since xmas,i know other places have had more, any way hope all goes well with the doctor next week karen and bindi

Is it maybe the laying flat that upsets your stomach? I know for me, every single night I start feeling extremely nauseated when I lay down to sleep and I think it is being flat. I don't know if maybe propping yourself up with more pillows would help??? I'm sure you've already thought of this, but just an idea... At least you know you aren't the only one who has this problem!!!!

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Emkat8, I used to do the pillow thing for a while after I got out of the hospital. I rarely had my hospital bed flat and usually had it propped up. Laying flat felt weird and the pillows at home did help.

CrabbyRelish said:
Emkat8, I used to do the pillow thing for a while after I got out of the hospital. I rarely had my hospital bed flat and usually had it propped up. Laying flat felt weird and the pillows at home did help.
I need pillows aswell.

I put 2 of them lengthwise down the bed so they prop me on an angle while laying on my side. Otherwise I get pretty bad lower back pain and feel ill. It seems to keep the weight off my belly if I lay on my stomach and gives me good support if I lay on my side. If I lay on my back I need one under my knees.

This all started when I got home from hospital too. But recently it is getting better and I think it is because I am back to work. I was in bed 12 hours or more at a time when recovering but now I sleep 8 hours at most and it is a pretty sound sleep. I am tired from working now instead of being tired from being sick.