• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Feeling better NOT eating

Now this is odd, but it makes sense because crohn's is an autoimmune disease and basically the food i'm eating isn't being accepted correctly. I do like to eat but after i eat i end up feeling weird or just really bad, sometimes even before i eat but i just eat anyway because i figure "i need to". Well i got tired of doing that and feeling like i was so when i wasn't actually really hungry as opposed to being just tired and eating for energy i just wouldn't eat and eventually i'd start feeling better throughout the day because it was giving my stomach time to heal. I'm not saying everyone should try this. My crohns is just pretty bad and i got tired of sitting on the toilet 20-30 minutes or more at a time 6 times a day and having basically no life outside of work. It's still bad but when i'm not filling my stomach with food after awhile i get a decent amount of energy but i still stay quite cautious because i still don't want to push anything too fast; for example, after not eating during the day a friend of mine wanted to get some food so i went and got a fish sandwich and stuff and no problems when i was there at the bar but once i got home about half hour later my heart started to race, probably because my stomach was trying so hard to digest the food right and i was on a higher dose of steriods otherwise i would've just crapped it out, but yeah my pulse and blood pressure went way up so i still gotta be careful. I've lost some weight since i've started doing this but i dont feel quite as bad as i used to and i think my stomach is starting to heal, so time will tell. Oh yeah i'm not starving myself for days and days haha usually a meal at 6-7 when i finally feel ok to eat and maybe something later but then i'll feel real lousy in the morning so i noticed if i go an entire day almost without food i'll feel way better the next day...but i still realize i need to eat.

Last edited:
Now this is odd, but it makes sense because crohn's is an autoimmune disease and basically the food i'm eating isn't being accepted correctly.
Sorry but that doesn't make sense at all. How does the fact you believe Crohn's is an auto immune disease, relate to food not being accepted correctly? I don't follow the logic. Arthritis is thought to be an auto immune disease, doesn't have any impact on food being accepted correctly as far as I'm aware or I'm sure anyone reading that would agree.

Last edited:
Hi all..

CD is an auto-immune disease that affects an individual anywhere from the mouth to the other. For some people the disease will flare and certain foods can irritate the stomach, or intestines, mouth.. you name it.. it's almost endless. The disease is characterisitic of an overactive immune system. The individuals immune system will sometimes mistake "good bacteria" for bad and attack, also - can do the same for food. So it is directly related to the immune system. When your body attacks itself it causes fatigue as well - as your body is working twice as hard. Also, your body can release too many white blood cells which causes additional damage. Note: in this disease it can cause fistula tracts from the internal inflamation. Which poses additional serious threat! Unlike UC, Crohn's causes inflamation which can go all the way through the instestines. This also weakens the area making it easier for perforations.

Personally a liquid diet has worked for me in the past. The swelling from this disease can be very painful! And its hard for me to do since i've been on prednisone for a while.. but it sure works for me to give my intestines enough rest time to properly heal.

Hope this helps..

much love

Hi all..

CD is an auto-immune disease that affects an individual anywhere from the mouth to the other. For some people the disease will flare and certain foods can irritate the stomach, or intestines, mouth.. you name it.. it's almost endless. The disease is characterisitic of an overactive immune system. The individuals immune system will sometimes mistake "good bacteria" for bad and attack, also - can do the same for food. So it is directly related to the immune system. When your body attacks itself it causes fatigue as well - as your body is working twice as hard. Also, your body can release too many white blood cells which causes additional damage. Note: in this disease it can cause fistula tracts from the internal inflamation. Which poses additional serious threat! Unlike UC, Crohn's causes inflamation which can go all the way through the instestines. This also weakens the area making it easier for perforations.

Personally a liquid diet has worked for me in the past. The swelling from this disease can be very painful! And its hard for me to do since i've been on prednisone for a while.. but it sure works for me to give my intestines enough rest time to properly heal.

Hope this helps..

much love
None of what you have just said has ever been proven, it's all theories.

It's true some of those things happen in the body like the white blood cells, swelling as symptoms that get classified together etc.

But as to why and the basis of your argument of an auto immune disease, it's all theory, with no answers.

Nobody knows, and if the basis of your thoughts for trying to help yourself, is that you are up against such and such and are a victim of it, you are starting off on the wrong foot.

It's an unknown. Researchers have theories they get paid to investigate, and Dr's prescrible drugs based on those theories, but it's an unknown and a best guess. They're called medical practices and they're practicing on you.

They've never cured anyone. They don't know where to start.

PS Your body releases excess white blood cells when you drink mineral water. How do you know it's to combat bacteria? Nobody does.

It's all guesses, with no results so far except we will feed you pills and when it gets to bad we'll just cut some out.

Last edited:
Hi all..
The individuals immune system will sometimes mistake "good bacteria" for bad and attack, also - can do the same for food. So it is directly related to the immune system.
You first state something that is unproven, then in the next sentence jump to the conclusion it's related to the immune system, based on your unproven comment.

That guy is just angry^^. And believe me when i was on the lower doses of roids and wasn't feelings hungry at all i was just doing mostly liquids and i had more energy but i was still sick. In fact when i finally went to the e.r. my stomach had settled down awhile after i got there so i asked the nurse if i could have some ginger ale because it'd been hours and hours since i had something to eat or drink so she brought 4 cans and within 10-15 mins my stomach was going crazy and welll they admitted me because after that ginger ale i went to the bathroom several time....yes ginger ale

That guy is just angry^^. And believe me when i was on the lower doses of roids and wasn't feelings hungry at all i was just doing mostly liquids and i had more energy but i was still sick. In fact when i finally went to the e.r. my stomach had settled down awhile after i got there so i asked the nurse if i could have some ginger ale because it'd been hours and hours since i had something to eat or drink so she brought 4 cans and within 10-15 mins my stomach was going crazy and welll they admitted me because after that ginger ale i went to the bathroom several time....yes ginger ale
^^ this guy is surprised liquid sugar (4 cans are you serious? tell me you at least didn't drink them all) made him sick, and is questioning me when I throw out some facts about nutrition?

Do some reading before insulting my man. Pop made you sick and you're surprised, really? Come on.

Last edited:
^^ this guy is surprised liquid sugar (4 cans are you serious? tell me you at least didn't drink them all) made him sick, and is questioning me when I throw out some facts about nutrition?

Do some reading before insulting my man. Pop made you sick and you're surprised, really? Come on.

Is it really necessary to put your two cents in when you have nothing nice to say? Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.. you could express yours in a way that is not so condescending, or brash. If you are just having a bad day there is no reason to take it out on the forum. People come here for support and friendship, not for someone to shoot them down..

Is it really necessary to put your two cents in when you have nothing nice to say? Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.. you could express yours in a way that is not so condescending, or brash. If you are just having a bad day there is no reason to take it out on the forum. People come here for support and friendship, not for someone to shoot them down..
I do have something to say...if it contradicts your opinion be a grown up and don't start insulting people.

I have to say don't give up on yourself by thinking this disease is a pre determined auto immune disease, it's not. (my first post in this thread)

I have to say don't think drinking pop is good for you and won't have any bad effects on your body. (my other post in this thread)

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, so don't insult me when I give mine and it is different than yours. Try to prove me wrong instead.

Would you rather I agree with your false information? How does that help anybody?

CD is an auto-immune disease that affects an individual anywhere from the mouth to the other.
From the CCFA website itself:

"Researchers believe that the immune system mistakes microbes, such as bacteria ... "

That's exactly what I said. It's a theory.

IS and MIGHT BE are to totally different things.

And it's huge to make that distinction, when we are discussing how to deal with and try to get better from IBD.

I'd like to point out people used to believe the earth was flat, that it was ok to keep slaves, and that bacteria and flies spontaneously sprang forth from inert matter on a daily basis.

It's all theories and for the last several decades that auto immune one hasn't really worked out so well...while recently with the fast spread of information numerous people have made themselves better based off the theory that it isn't an innate, built in, auto immune disease.

Last edited:
You apparently are not comprehending all i'm saying..

When you say things like "this guy thinks" to the thread starter it doesn't sound like a warm friendly opinion, or good peice of advice.. it sounds like you are being rude. Or, at least it did to me. And i believe it did to that person as well.

And as far as auto-immune disease.. well let's look at the word
auto= (Greek word for self) Immune system = (group of cells called molecules) Disease = (from the online medical dicitonary http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/disease ) disease /dis·ease/ (dĭ-zēz´) any deviation from or interruption of the normal structure or function of any body part, organ, or system that is manifested by a characteristic set of symptoms and signs and whose etiology, pathology, and prognosis may be known or unknown

cells/molecules inappropriately attacking areas = inflamation
CD = IBD

from the CCFA you quoted but a small part of the wording.

Note: from the CCFAWhat is Crohn's Disease?
Crohn's disease is a chronic (ongoing) disorder that causes inflammation of the digestive or gastrointestinal (GI) tract. Although it can involve any area of the GI tract from the mouth to the anus, it most commonly affects the small intestine and/or colon.

The disease is named after Dr. Burrill B. Crohn. In 1932, Dr. Crohn and two colleagues, Dr. Leon Ginzburg and Dr. Gordon D. Oppenheimer, published a landmark paper describing the features of what is known today as Crohn's disease. Crohn's and a related disease, ulcerative colitis, are the two main disease categories that belong to a larger group of illnesses called inflammatory bowel disease (IBD).

Because the symptoms of these two illnesses are so similar, it is sometimes difficult to establish the diagnosis definitively. In fact, approximately 10 percent of colitis cases are unable to be pinpointed as either ulcerative colitis or Crohn's disease and are called indeterminate colitis.

Both illnesses do have one strong feature in common. They are marked by an abnormal response by the body's immune system. The immune system is composed of various cells and proteins. Normally, these protect the body from infection. In people with Crohn's disease, however, the immune system reacts inappropriately. Researchers believe that the immune system mistakes microbes, such as bacteria that is normally found in the intestines, for foreign or invading substances, and launches an attack. In the process, the body sends white blood cells into the lining of the intestines, where they produce chronic inflammation. These cells then generate harmful products that ultimately lead to ulcerations and bowel injury. When this happens, the patient experiences the symptoms of IBD

Just because researchers believe a certain one thing or another on exactly how it happens, does not take away from the fact that CD does cause inflammation, ulcerations, and is an IBD.

and BTW - I'm always up for hearing/sharing opinions.. it's all about how you do it though.

You apparently are not comprehending all i'm saying..

When you say things like "this guy thinks" to the thread starter it doesn't sound like a warm friendly opinion, or good peice of advice.. it sounds like you are being rude. Or, at least it did to me. And i believe it did to that person as well.

Crohn's disease is a chronic (ongoing) disorder that causes inflammation
I suggest you re-read the entire thread and take a look at the comment I was responding to.

And again, you just proved my point: Crohn's disease is a chronic (ongoing) disorder that causes inflammation What you said, is inflammtion causes/is Crohn's. Again, huge difference. Chicken or the egg, and that's my point.

You are mis interpreting something, and I'm not going to agree with you if you are wrong. Who does that help?

the entire text from below: " Note: from the CCFAWhat is Crohn's Disease?" to the ************* was quoted from the CCFA website

and you copied certain text from what I wrote and deleted in between text. That's misconstruing words IMO.

and CD = IBD, Crohn's disease is classified as an inflammatory bowel disease

what I was referring to was the breakdown of the wording Auto-Immune Disease. No chicken and egg there..

Look i'm not going to argue with you. I have much better things to do with my time.

But from what you quoted from me above too.. you still did not get that you came off as rude. But it's ok.

what I was referring to was the breakdown of the wording Auto-Immune Disease. No chicken and egg there..
Definitely chicken and egg. It's not proven it's an auto immune disease. Cause and effect is totally at the root of what you are trying to argue with me about.

And the fact that I left out some words that were not important to what I was saying means nothing. Go show me from the words I took out that prove your point that it IS an auto immune disease, I challenge you. Even from the CCFA website (which has nothing to gain but jobs for people) even on that website they don't, and it's because legally they can't say that, because it isn't proven, that Crohn's IS an auto immune disease. It's a theory, I'm not sure what part of that you still don't understand.

You have said I am being rude, you said I am leaving words out, you said that I was condescending and brash.

Please leave out your opinions about me and stick to the facts. Go ahead and feel free to prove it's an auto immune disease, you won't find anyone who says it is, other than people like you posting mis-information.

Also note there are a whole other range of theories, like MAP bacteria, bacteria overgrowth, genetic factors and problems on a cellular level - none of which I agree with - but you make it sound like I am refuting THE theory when I point out that even the CCFA site does not say it IS an auto immune disease.

They're all theories.

Last edited:

David

Co-Founder
This is a great discussion and I understand the passion, all I ask is that it remains civil. Argue your point, please just refrain from personal attacks. Thanks :)

I agree with endibd on a lot of the points. Of course pop is bad, and it's going to make you sick. The original poster has a lot of his own ideas about his health that are likely not correct, like the food not being accepted correctly because it's an autoimmune disease.

With that said, why are you fighting over the usage of "autoimmune disease"? NO ONE knows definitively what causes Crohns. Arguing that it IS an autoimmune disease is every bit as bad as arguing that it is NOT an autoimmune disease. No one knows, and there are several theories as to the cause of Crohns. Referring to it as an autoimmune disease is every bit as "unfounded" as referring to it as a disease CAUSED by bacteria or anything else.

No one knows the cause.

I agree with endibd on a lot of the points. Of course pop is bad, and it's going to make you sick. The original poster has a lot of his own ideas about his health that are likely not correct, like the food not being accepted correctly because it's an autoimmune disease.

With that said, why are you fighting over the usage of "autoimmune disease"? NO ONE knows definitively what causes Crohns. Arguing that it IS an autoimmune disease is every bit as bad as arguing that it is NOT an autoimmune disease. No one knows, and there are several theories as to the cause of Crohns. Referring to it as an autoimmune disease is every bit as "unfounded" as referring to it as a disease CAUSED by bacteria or anything else.

No one knows the cause.
Well I think it's an important distinction, not just for the use of the word auto immune disease, but because depending on whether or not you believe that, your openness to other things is different.

If you believe it's because of a defective body in some way because of an auto immune disease you are born into this world with, in my opinion that lends itself to a more defeatist attitude and waiting on someone else to fix what is wrong with you. And my point on that is, that auto immune is just a theory - don't wait for someone to design something to fix you, experiment, be open, try yourself, don't think it's a body defect and a built in disease that some geneticist or vaccine maker or chemical engineer needs to come along to fix.

I believe when the dust settles a few hundred years from now we will know that the factors influencing it are external to us, and within our ability to resolve.

Last edited:
The original poster was simply stating that not eating felt better than eating. Most people with inflamed or obstructed intestines would agree with that simple statement!!
As far as people wanting to disagree with the current theories on Crohn's, how about coming up with another theory as a replacement? It's easy to be cynical. When you choose to rubbish all the great work done by a great many people, and offer no alternative, it rings hollow. Although the current theories aren't definitively proven, they are a long way ahead of someone just saying "it might be something else." That is really the most useless thing to say.
The work on Crohns has progressed enormously in the last few years alone. The newer biologics are effective in a great many cases, and vastly superior to previous medications - that is great progress.
No need to rubbish all the work simply because it isn't definitively proven.

Sjblanch1984, I totally can empathize with you. This is the problem I have had for years. I feel so ill when I eat, that I just opt to NOT eat and unfortunately it leads to very rapid weight loss along with a whole host of other health complaints, but all of them beat how ill I feel from eating. My chronic not eating, has lead to me being misdiagnosed with Anorexia Nervosa and I understand that this is common for many people with problems similar to ours. But most importantly not eating is seriously dangerous and it needs resolving, you need nourishment for your body and your brain to function.

I am currently on 028 Elemental Diet, because I just cannot tolerate food in any form. I find it a god send. Not eating does make you feel better in the short term, but believe me, in the long term it is devastating. If you really can't tolerate food, the elemental diet will nourish you, without you having to digest the food. The taste of the drinks is vile, and I do suffer from being very bloated and uncomfortable on the drinks, but its beats starving any day.

I really hope you don't have to suffer starving for much longer, it really is awful being unable to face food because of illness, in a world that is so abundant in food and social life. Stay strong and you will get through it, thinking of you. :kiss:

Big Hugs
:hug:
xxx

Last edited:
I managed my flares by not eating - it was the only tool that worked for me - I found juice iceblocks kept me going. Not for everyone but its a thing :)

Lynda Lynda

Right now I can only tolerate liquids ( Ensure. Milk mixed with Carnation Instant Breakfast powder. ) and soft foods ( pudding or plain Greek Yogurt. ) Hoping Humira will work for me. I almost bought a Big Mac Hamburger yesterday but decided it wouldn't be worth the diarrhea that I would have after eating it ! After I see my GI in May I will probably make my smoothies again.

Not eating or drinking anything before running errands or going to appointments is a must for me !

Take Care 🧡

my little penguin

Staff member
Using een (exclusive enteral nutrition-formula onlyno solid food )
Is a proven method to induce remission
This allows you to get proper nutrition AND heal your gut
You need nutritionally complete formula
Some use polymeric formulas such as boost or ensure

Most need semi elemental or elemental formulas

Semi elemental is broken down proteins
Such as peptamen

Elemental would be vionex
Elemental is the most broken down
Pure amino acids (what your intestines turns whole proteins into )
So you only need a few healthy inches of intestine

They use it a lot in kids as effective as steriods

My kiddo has done it a few times
In between uses 50% amino acid based formula (neocate jr chocolate)
For his calories plus meds /solid food

He drinks his orally

Some use an ng tube at night and remove it in the morning ;)

Tagging Tesscom
Maya142

Maya142

Staff member
My kiddo inserted an NG tube every night, did over night feeds and pulled it out in the morning before school. We were very nervous about it, but it was surprisingly easy. The first night was hard, but by the end of the week, she was inserting in less than 10 seconds - no problem.
The tube is infant sized, even for adult sized teens. So it's really thin and flexible and not too uncomfortable.