• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Feeling pretty down

I'm one week in with a peptide formula diet and I just don't know. Not having normal food and having to drink this formula that doesn't really taste that great and it really hasn't started working full force yet is just getting me really down. I really wanna just give up and do prednisone even though I really would rather not take it due to hearing all the bad stories about it. I'm just kinda at a lost and really just hate this, I hate complaining I just gotta vent this some how. I have Crohns disease at the high end of moderate according to my doctor and I am thankful that it hasn't gotten super severe, but I honestly am just sick of it. I just wanna be in remission right now!

Of course you want to be in remission right now! That's so understandable. Everything you are feeling is entirely normal and reasonable. It's definitely worth sticking with the diet for another week at least to see if you start feeling better though.

Has your doctor done any tests yet? Because inflammation can begin to reduce in as little as one week of treatment so if you saw that in the numbers you might be encouraged to continue.

Remember that the liquid diet has great benefits over steroids - not just the absence of side effects but it is better for mucosal healing which if achieved gives a better long term prognosis.

And I think if you went with steroids you might well be feeling very similar things - that you wish you'd chosen the other treatment path, that you wish you were back to health already and that the steroid treatment was over. Basically you just want to feel like you again with your normal life and sadly that can't happen overnight - but hang in there.

You're one week in and that's really great. I think you can do this.

Did you decide to go with 10% normal food? Is that helping?

If you really hate the taste of this formula, is swapping to a different formula possible?

And if venting about this gets you through it, then vent away!!

Btw when I drank Elemental 028 (which is definitely an acquired taste) I used to always make sure I did it while reading, watching tv or being on the internet. In time I came to associate as something positive, not just because it made me healthier but also because I got to take study breaks and do something relaxing while I drank.

Thanks I really appreciate it. I'm staying with the formula, it's just kind of hard but I'll get through it. It's still better than steriods I just feel like I have no motivation for anything anymore.

It is hard but I think it was a very good treatment decision and it will always be worth giving it your best shot. You're probably still feeling a bit low on energy too. Hopefully when you've been having your full caloric intake for a bit longer you'll feel better. And it really is motivating if/when you see those inflammatory markers drop!