• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Feels like sun burn

This Friday will make it three weeks. On my left arm I have several patches where it feels like a mild sunburn. It hurts to the touch, when clothes drag across it, when I get goose bumps or go out in the cold with no coat. The patches are just small areas 2"x 3" maybe. The pain varies in severity and sometimes will almost disappear in a particular area. Nothing is visible!

The GI had no idea and sent me to the general doctor, He prescribed lyrica and said that in 5% of the cases shingles does not present with a rash. So he is not sure what it is. He said to take the lyrica but after reading about it, it is just a way to calm nerves after a shingles flare up or if you have fibromyalgia. So I am not taking it since the pain is bearable. I just want to know what it is and then treat it if possible. I take Humira and had chicken pox as a kid.

My stress level has been through the roof lately which might be playing a role. My stress level stays high though.

I'll update here if anything happens or I figure out what it is.

It has finally faded almost totally. I never took the lyrica. The sunburn feeling crept around to my shoulder blade where I still feel it slightly and I have a pain deep in my shoulder, more arthritic feeling but maybe the usual extra-crohn type ache or possibly I just injured it at work. I'm happy that the shingles pain is fading.