• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Fellow Barbie Bums, have a ?

:arghmatey_ani: Hello everyone--for those of you with sewn up arses. Okay, original surgery was 7 months ago yesterday. Wow. Ileostomy seems to be doing well. It's the butt! I hate to complain, I have no drainage or wound issues. I just underwent a scar revision 3 weeks ago, the surgeon did it in the office (saves me a bunch of money--but it kinda hurt--lol). Anyway it drives me craaaaazy. The area right where the anus was sewn is so annoying. Its really tight--and I mean tight. The regular bum skin is pulled--the area kinda reminds me of a horizontal bridge. Sorry--hard to describe. My surgeon made kind of an S-shaped incision in that region in attempt to alleviate the pressure. Well, I'm not sure it helped--obviously not his fault--he's awesome. You know how it is--the skin down there has been traumatized by surgery, longstanding Crohn's disease, and horrible medication side effects. I know that any scar takes up to a year to heal and soften--but I'm not sure this will. He said I'd be going to the OR if this was not successful. Ugh. Do any of you have this issue? I'm really active--on my feet all day at work, hiking, swimming, etc. By the way, what do you do about itching under the flange? I don't have skin issues, and leaks are very rare (keeping fingers crossed on that one). It itches like mad sometimes, and I'll take everything off---and nothing. Again I feel like a weenie complaining--but it's bothering me! I am still amazed and thankful every day for not being sick, though! Yippeeeeee! Thanks everyone. Dana:hug:

Terriernut

Dana!!! Long time no hear from! The scar tissue thing must be awful. I wonder they dont have you putting some type of cream on it all the time to soften it up? Could they ask a dermatologist? But if its on the inside, well I dunno.

Itchies under your flange is a means of it telling you to change it usually. Are you using cavilon before you apply your wafer? How long between flange changes do you go? Also, could be you need to switch flanges to a different make for a week or so. Sometimes our skin gets sensitive to the particular adhesive.

:rosette2: Hey, Misty, I know! Ya know how it is, work, work, work! Thanks for the advice, I actually texted my stoma nurse, bless her. She said to try going without duoderm (I put thin strips around stoma before applying flange). She also said to try to layer the stoma powder a few times then spray the hail out of it with barrier spray, then apply the barrier ring and flange. I'm gonna try this and see how it works. Don't want to start with skin issues for sure! As for me arse I am trying to desensitize with pure cocoa butter. I have my suspicions though, my skin is olllld and damaged! Bummer, at least no drainage though! Thanks again for replying, hope you are doing well, chicky! :thumleft: Dana

ameslouise

Hi Dana - I don't have any advice for you, but I just wanted to offer my support!! What you're describing sounds soooo uncomfortable! I hope you don't have to go under the knife to fix it. But maybe that's the best way to get complete relief?? It's great that everything else is in good working order, glad you are feeling well otherwise!

- Amy