• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Ferritin back to normal but still tired

Hi all,

Back in late Nov I had routine bloodwork and it showed my ferritin levels were below normal. It surprised me because I felt fine. A week or so after the results, I started feeling the symptoms...headache, cracked corners on the mouth, dragged out, tired, out of breath easily, etc. My GI set me up for an iron IV on Jan 7...Venafor, 300mg. Fast forward 4 weeks later, I feel like I still need more iron. I get another blood test and my iron is well within the normal range. I don't get it. Is it that my body still needs time to build up its iron stores?

Thanks

Scipio

In my expereince iron stored do need months to return to normal after a bout of anemia. But perhaps more relevant to your tiredness is your hemoglobin and hemocrit, What were they in your most recent test?

In my expereince iron stored do need months to return to normal after a bout of anemia. But perhaps more relevant to your tiredness is your hemoglobin and hemocrit, What were they in your most recent test?
Thanks for the reply. Hemoglobin is measured here where 140-180 is normal for a grown male. Mine has been around 138-144 for the past few years. November it was 131, now it's 139.

In 2016 I had a bad flare of CD where I lost a lot of blood. Even after 2 BT's, and later iron infusions, it took months for me to get back to normal but that was an extreme case.