• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Festival advice?

festival advice?

Ok, so I've decided to get a ticket for a music festival in the summer which means camping there from friday morning till monday.

Has anyone got any experience or tips they can share about festivals?

I've been to this festival before , before i had surgery so the whole toilet situation was very different, in those days I could get away with just one visit to the toilet a day and not need to worry about emptying an ileostomy bag every 3 hours.

Also as I'll be camping I need to think of a way of maybe emptying my bag in my tent in a clean manner during the night otherwise there'll be lots of long walks to the toilet areas. It isn't until august so I've got plenty time to prepare, Im kind of excited, I had a ticket last year and missed out because of being in hospital and ive not been on a proper break with my friends for a long time so it should be fun! im just worrying about toilets!..and the possibility of changing my bag in a tent in the middle of a field!

I'm afraid I don't have many ideas on the ileostomy bag situation, but one thing jumped out to me after I read that.
Make sure you have a good bright torch! When I went to a festival last year I had a little one you have to pump with your hands to get working and it gave off hardly any light. I ended up doing most things in the dark... would definitely not be ideal in your situation!
Hope you have a great time! Which one are you going to? I don't think I can afford any this year :(

I would also suggest bringing your own food; good food. Most places have such junk food and drinks that eating/drinking that may cause trouble as well. Have a great trip!

Terriernut

Two piece disposables are a good idea. But you can always empty into the blue bags they give you to dispose of the bags. Obviously privately, but hedges work! I think practice before you go. I am going to bet you will enjoy this festival more than any other. You could also opt for larger bags so you dont have to empty so often.

Astra

Hiya Martin

I went to the V festival in 2007 and it was brill, it was on my Bucket List!
I can't help re; a stoma, but the toilet issues are a big problem!
I took loads of Tesco bags, the queues for toilets are mega long. I went to the toilet in the tent! But, it's such a trek from the stage back to the pitches. If I had a stoma I would go to the St John's Ambulance tent, I'm sure they would help you.
Oh, yes a good torch, essential
Have fun!

Ah Martin.. one of the positives to having a bag for me was being able to be so much more comfortable when going to festivals!

I went to Reading in 2007 and actually made the whole weekend. Was proud of myself because I had such a thing about going to the toilet. I was so happy when I found out they had flushing toilets at Reading on site as I'd heard so many horrific stories from non crohn's people about going to the toilet at festivals! Even so, I still carried around with me a roll of toilet paper and spare underwear at all times! Having a bag would be so much better!

You empty your bag often though!! My goodness. I don't usually have much in the day and then maybe one full empty in the evening, before bed and then in the morning.

My hints would be.. take loads of imodium with you. Take lots of snacks to avoid just eating large, sporadic meals. Is it cool to have a man bag? If so, make sure you have toilet paper to clean the end of your bag with if they don't have any/run out. The queues for the toilet often get large in the day so if possible try and get there early and late in the day. If there is a large act on you can guarantee that the queue will form after their set so make your way to the toilets before their last song.

If you just empty once in the night then I would do what Misty suggests and get used to a two piece now so you can just swap a bag over in the night. If not, then the disposable bags they give you to throw your bag stuff away should be fine.

I am so jealous though! I'd love to experience a festival again without having to worry about going to the toilet/accidents etc!!

Thanks For the info! Astra It's V festival I'm going to. Really looking forward to it but I'm the sort of person who worries about every possible scenario which just makes me edgy before going somewhere!... even the thought of being stuck in traffic on the way down without a toilet to go too is putting me off!...

I'll look into getting a 2 piece system, it sounds a lot easier. does the "sticky" part last longer on those? so maybe I could make it through the weekend without having to clean and change everything?

Misty, I have a pretty active stoma, although in the day it can slow down a bit but it can be a bit erratic and hard to control. But i'll be taking plenty loparimide with me and maybe use the marsh mellow trick when needed too!..

Emptying my bag into the waste bags sounds like a good idea during the night too, Just have to see what the sleeping arrangement are, dont wanna be stinking the tent out for any friends!...although they'll probably be too drunk to care.

In the past I've always taken my own food too but its always been things like tins of beans and super noodles, although id imagine the noodles should still be ok to eat.

I'm just so glad I finally have something to look forward to again!... I'm on the waiting list for my reversal so I just hope I can get this festival out the way before having surgery.

Yeah two pieces last much longer because they are thicker. Well, the dansac ones are anyway. I've never tried a 1 piece that wasn't dansac. Mine lasts about 5 days now. I'd definately get some samples to try out.

I've just been on the dansac website and requested some 2 piece samples so ill see what turns up! the 1 piece that i use now are dansac and i usually get 3 days out of them if i push it so I'll see how I go with a 2 piece, do they not sort of like fall of or anything because of how they clip on?

Nooooo. As long as you make sure it's clipped on properly it's fine. You'd need a lot of force for it to come off! Let me know how you get on with them!

Ooh I went to V last year! It was sooo good! Something to be aware of - Its massive!! Takes a long time to walk between the camp site and the main stage, the camp site and the car park etc.
So just be prepared for a lot of walking!

Ooh I went to V last year! It was sooo good! Something to be aware of - Its massive!! Takes a long time to walk between the camp site and the main stage, the camp site and the car park etc.
So just be prepared for a lot of walking!
I know ive been a few times before, the walk from the car park to pitching up is a killer!... im gonna try and get a wheelbarrow this time, but im taking my car so i can leave some stuff in that and do a few trips. I had a ticket for last year too but had only come out of hosp 3 weeks before so had to sell my ticket :(

Terriernut

Martin, that large drainable two piece is going to be your favourite for any festival. (as an old dear I've seen my share of festivals) Or ANY outing for that matter.

Have fun!!!!! My two piece system Coloplast Sensura lasts me for 5 to 7 days. The actual bags 2 days. Can go more but dont want to chance it.