• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Fiance just diagnosed, i'm scared

Hi, after over a year of dealing with pain and symptoms that caused my fiance to lose job after job because he couldn't go to work for the pain, and after months of calling him a wimp, and other horrible things (I thought he was just using the cramping as an excuse, and as a women I was angered), we finally received news he has crohns. I wasn't there when the doctor announced this news and it was delivered as an "oh by the way" type statement. For the past year I have been the main breadwinner as he just can't hold a job due to the pain he experiences every time somebody hires him and I am terrified that I will forever have to be "the man" now that he has learned of his diagnosis. I don't know how to handle the upcoming changes and I'm scared that the life we know will be over. I don't know what to do and I am just hoping that talking to a few others who have been here can help me see some sort of bright side to this news.... I am hoping that I can get suggestions on how to help him, as well as how to deal with my own fears, I don't know where else to turn, please help me have the strength to help him through this.

Hey, sorry for your fiancé, sucks to hear he's got Crohn's but now that he knows what it is he should be lookin into treatment, its the year 2013, there are many treatments available, he should be able to live a full and outgoing life, it's certainly not a death sentence

I am so sorry. Hopefully now that he's been diagnosed, he'll be able to receive treatment which will be able to control his symptoms and stabilize his condition. Many remain symptom free for years.

My husband was never diagnosed, but suffered chronic colitis for years, hospitalized several times, and he was able to control his symptoms with dietary means, but what works for one, doesn't necessarily work for others.

Now that your fiancé has a diagnosis, things may get better, because his doctors now know have a better idea of how to treat it. Best of luck!

The good news is, now that he knows what's wrong, he can be properly treated, whether it be by medication, control with diet or both.

Yes, look at the bright side. He now knows what's up and he can get the correct treatment. He should get a GI doctor and not just be seeing the GP if he already isn't. The GI will be able to work with him to find the best route of treatment.
Try not to be scared, imagine how scared he is too. Keep communication open and be there for eachother. You can do it together!!
This is a great forum and am glad you found it!