• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Fiber and Crohn's Flares

I just got a link to this from CCFA....interesting since my GI has me on a fiber supplement and I always thought it was a little odd, know I know he's on his game!

Here's the link too http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/...+of+Crohn’s+Disease+Flare+in+a+6+Month+Period

CCFA Partners Manuscripts

Avoidance of Fiber is Associated with Greater Risk of Crohn’s Disease Flare in a 6 Month Period

Publication Date:

December 31, 2015 [Epub ahead of print]

Summary:

Dietary fiber is found in plant foods such as fruits, veggies, and whole grains. Past studies found that dietary fiber can affect bacterial colonies in your stomach and intestines. However, there is limited information about how dietary fiber affects inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) symptoms. In this study, we looked at fiber consumption and whether it was associated with flares in adults with IBD. A total of 1619 participants in CCFA Partners completed a diet survey and a follow-up survey 6 months later. We found that participants with Crohn’s disease who reported eating the most fiber were less likely to have a flare within a 6 month period. In addition, participants with Crohn’s disease who told us they did not avoid high fiber foods were about 40% less likely to have a flare than participants who told us they avoid high fiber foods. Interestingly, we did not find an association between fiber consumption and disease flares among participants with ulcerative colitis. In summary, eating foods high in fiber may help reduce risk of flares among patients with Crohn’s disease.

there are a few studies in this thread that found a high fiber low sugar diet reduced hospitalization rates in ibd providing evidence against current guidelines to follow a low fiber diet which is sometimes advised to ibd patients, I think this study was done way back in 1979!! 27 years ago! So we kind of already knew this, well anybody who reads scientific/medical journals already knew this.
http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=75449

I would think the group that avoided fiber may have had ongoing inflammation to begin with. Even microscopic inflammation. Watching my daughter teaches me that when she is further away from flaring she eats more fibre and a greater variety of foods.

Lady Organic

Staff member
I take maximal dose of fiber supplement as well, everyday. Inuline chicoree root extract powder, special fibers also called ''Prebiotic.'' If you want to naturally increase your prebiotic fibers with foods, you can also add banana, jerusalem artichokes, onions, leeks, asparagus to your diet.- Info taken from IBD-AID diet. I combine with fermented veggies for probiotics. I prepare my own raw saurkraut and recently discovered pickle veggies (mostly garlic cucumbers). i use a japanees equipement designed to pickle veggies. :

http://www.amazon.ca/Kotobuki-Tsuke...8&qid=1454421449&sr=8-5&keywords=pickle+press

a really great new addition to my diet and very tasty as well!
It is the synergy of both prebiotics and probiotics working together that is interesting for the reconstruction of colon microbiota.

What is the fiber supplement your GI advised you to take Teeny5?

Lady Organic

Staff member
I am on Benefiber as well, 4 spoons a day. Only differentce I feel is lots of gaz, very often unscented(!) but I dont feel bloated at all. very interesting a GI recommended that.