• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Fight for cure

Hi -I am brand new to the forum and have never posted anything like this before so nervous about saying the wrong thing but I wanted to share my story in the hope it may help others.

I was diagnosed with Crohn's aged 12 (now early 40's) and have had 2 bowel resections. I have taken Asacol for many years but started with more frequent flare ups. After 2 courses of steroids in 6 months I was told i would need to start Azathioprine because a colonoscopy showed ulcers and inflammation despite taking the steroids.

I refused the medication (because of the potential side effects) and asked for more time and with the support of my consultant tried alternative therapies.

I did the following:

- Gave up alcohol ( I only had a few drinks at the weekend)
- Started a high quality / dosage Curcumin supplement with pepper and ginger (I bought mine from Amazon). I took these at meal times because fat helps the absorption.
- Took a probiotic (saccharomyces boulardii)
- Started a 20 minute HITT exercise regime (3 times per week)

Trysha

Staff member
Hi and welcome to the forum
Hope your regime continues to work for you...it’s good that your consultantant is working alongside of you
Feel better soon