• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Fight to be heard

presented a number of times to the emergency department. over 11 times in 4 years and was sent home being told I was stressed and making myself sick. i believed this for so many years untill i could no longer work or walk up my stairs and i was 25 at this time, my partner had left me my family thought i was a drug addict i couldnt go a day with out vomiting. so i lost my job and then my house.

My symptoms where always the same
Fevers for days
restless legs
pains through my right side and stomach
vomiting sometime for 16 hours
diareeha and or constipation
muscle aches
head aches
chills
hot and cold sweats

these symtoms would come and go in 3 month stints I use to beg God to just let me go. I was so so tired of fighting everyone myself this sickness that no one could tell about.

After presenting to the hospital a number of times Dr had told me i was run down and stressed. No testing was run only rehydration and anti medics were given to me and sent home.
When these symptoms would come back i would go back to emergency and ask again what was happening to me.
I do remember having an ultrasound nothing was on the report and i again was sent home.
in the months of August and september 2011 i had been to the bater private 3 times the third time i was seen by a different doctor on duty. 7/09/11 i had been told that they found nothing last time i was there and to go home.
my systems had changed i now had a mass lump pushing my vagina closed then i was finally sent to have a scan and a 4kg abscess on the outside of bowel was found.

At one of my visits to the private hospital a large orange sticker was placed on my notes saying possible mental illness. I have never been treated for such issues and i believe i was then not treated properly at the hospital.

I had 8 Surgeries in Queensland and 2 months of vac therapy and the wound would not heal and no fistular was ever found after 8 surgeries. I was sent home alone with no wound care plan or nurse and i had a wound 7cm deep and 5 cm wide. I went into shock many times trying to pack the wound myself and ended up in hospital more.
I was then told i would need a seton a ring to go in the wound and out the exit hole. I didnt understand this as they never found the fistular so I ran away.

I moved to Melbourne to find the best colorectal i could he found the fistular put in the seton and its worked. only thing is now the wound wont close as now my body is producing too much granulated tissue and too fast so the wound is filling with the bodies healing fluid and stretching the wound before it heals.

I have only become aware and informed in January 2013 by my new surgeon in melbourne, That i will have ongoing surgeries for some time. If this large Abbess had been found in its early stages when i had first presented to the Mater private in 2010 and 2011 the abscess would never of grown so large and damaged so much of my tissue and body, leaving my body with a cavity that is not closing or healing with out ongoing surgery. If Dr. had run the appropriate tests in 2010 or 2011 this would not be happening

This creates another problem as i have an open wound and ongoing surgery until further notice to try and close this wound. i can not have my Hip Arthoroscope that i was scheduled for in 5th May 2012.

I was a professional dancer and ran my own business and now im awaiting my 10th surgery and they still cant tell me if the seton will come out and the fistular tied off or if they will cut all the scar tissue out and then repeat every 6 weeks. Im not 27 and my life has become a medical nightmare. I am very lucky i dont have cancer or Crohn's and im grateful.
But i cant do this anymore i cant live like this more bills than income more bad news than good. and i keep being told to hope i am hoping. I had to fight for 4 years to be heard then fight the doctors every time it came back and now my own body wont let me heal. 2 weeks out of the 6 in-between my surgeies i cant walk or sit so i still cant work.

I can never dance again and that breaks my heart i know theres many other things i can do but right now who will hire someone having surgery every 6 weeks. I know i cant give up this whole battle i have fought for myself while being neglected and miss treated. but im so tired

I am sorry to hear how they have treated you. It is so sad when family or medical individuals wontbeven listen to you. You are a brave and strong individual and your not alone in your fight. Hang in there.

Don't give up hope! It is sad when doctors won't treat you properly. I know how that feels, before I was diagnosed with Crohn's I had a GI doctor ask my husband if everything was okay with my head. He thought I was mentally unstable, just because I was 24, a woman, very skinny (I was in so much pain after meals and was not absorbing food properly) and looked ehxausted. It took almost 3 years to get the right diagnosis.
Hang in there. From what you write you are finally being cared for by a decent doctor. I will be praying for you. I can't imagine how hard it is for you, but please don't give up. You are strong and you persevered, you will come out of this ordeal. Take heart.