• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Finally, an answer

It is hard to know how to tell my story because I am in the middle of it and I don't know what the title should be. My poo changed in 2011, had bloody stools for two months last year. Came out of the blue and went back the same way. This May, bloody stools began again, but when pus and mucus appeared, and more discomfort/pain, I ended up at the gastroenterologist. After I had a stool so saturated with blood that the water in the bowl was completely opaque, they moved up the colonoscopy. This comes after several years of symptoms that came and went for no reason that I or doctors could identify, such as peripheral neuropathy and atypical chest pain, mid-back pain, plantar fasciitis, knee pain, urinary urgency - symptoms that drove me crazy, that I labored to address, that seemed totally unresponsive to all treatment, but would then evaporate overnight as if they had never been (although all the symptoms returned in turn). I began to feel like the crazy person I think the doctors thought I was. When the doctor told me after the colonoscopy that he was 95 percent certain I had IBD, my eyes misted up. With relief. I was just so glad to know that there was a reason for what felt like a gradual but drastic nosedive in my health. Now maybe I can get better!

DJW

Forum Monitor
Hi and welcome.

Are they working towards a definitive diagnosis and treatment plan?

Yes, the doctor said he would be able to tell by Friday or Monday if it is CD or UC. He prescribed Prednisone for four weeks, beginning at 40 mg and tapering 10 my a week. Thank you for noticing I was here so quickly! :)