• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Finally found something that works for me

I was diagnosed with crohns around 32 years ago. Had surgery in 1996. All those years I have consistently dealt with issues. I've always tried to figure out what is actually going on. For me, it seemed to always be associated with stressful events. Stressful events for me, could be starting a new job, meeting new people, working under pressure .. etc. I've tried eating different diets, but nothing really seemed to work. About 10 years ago, my family Dr put me on amlodopine(calcium blocker which relaxes capillaries and eases blood flow) . For some reason, that made me feel a little better but I still had issues. I never understood at the time why that may be the case. But now, to me, it might be making a little sense to me. Recently, the past 1-2 years I noticed that I was holding my breath. As I started to monitor this, I began to realize I was doing this over and over. Quick pauses, then breath. I didn't give it much thought in the beginning. I tried to control my breathing for a week or two and felt a little better but I'd get some stomach cramps and I would kind of give up and revert back to bad habits. About a month and a half ago I decided to really put an effort in, this time I cut out caffeine and controlled my breathing. I powered through the moments where I could feel my body wanting to pause my breathing. I went through several episodes of stomach pain, but each time, in a different location, it hurt for a few days and it went away. It was discouraging during this time as I was going to the restroom more often, but it seemed a bit different. It felt like I was healing versus feeling sick. I have kept at it. Controlled breathing and still avoiding caffeine. My joints do not ache any longer. My stomach pain has nearly subsided, able to stand up straight without feeling pain in my stomach area, and I seem more regular now. I suspect there has been some permanent damage done to the tissue that won't heal at this point, but compared to a few months ago, I feel great. It is literally night and day. I was also dealing with neuropathy in my feet. That tingling, sometimes painful sensation has also subsided. I started to read up on oxygen and how the body uses it. For me, logically it started to make sense. It is unfortunate if this has something to do with it since I've had to deal with this for most of my life, but on the bright side, I am starting to feel relief. I cannot stress that enough. It's early in this process, but I have never gone this long without a roller coaster of hurting. Will keep this updated.

Forgot to mention also, GI Dr had put me on Stelara... It ended up nearly killing me. Got bacterial pneumonia and spent 12 days on a ventilator and nearly died. He wanted me to go back on it about 6 months ago, and my wife wouldn't have it. I'm currently not taking any medication for this wretched condition.

Good for you! I wish it will keep working for you. It is always worth trying especially that improving your breathing is good for you regardless if it helps with Crohns or not.

Good for you! I wish it will keep working for you. It is always worth trying especially that improving your breathing is good for you regardless if it helps with Crohns or not.
Thanks... it's taken me this long to find it ... just hope I can help a younger person out so they do not have to deal with the pain that I have dealt with for decades.

I was diagnosed with crohns around 32 years ago. Had surgery in 1996. All those years I have consistently dealt with issues. I've always tried to figure out what is actually going on. For me, it seemed to always be associated with stressful events. Stressful events for me, could be starting a new job, ...
I noticed long ago that i have this breath pattern too, I hold the breath an slowly realeases it. I tried to modify it too.
The pain is not in stomack, is in the region, muscles and bones and ligaments, they are not accustumed to this pattern, it takes some time to train them.

thanks for replying... something else I noticed... when I was in the hospital at the end of last year with bacterial pneumonia because of taking Stelara, I was on oxygen for several months. I didn't have any symptoms during this time. It was only when I was removed from oxygen and went back to normal ways of life when I started developing symptoms again. For me, there is some relationship there that the gi docs choose to ignore. I've been controlling my breathing, making sure I don't pause and do complete breaths and have been feeling a lot better. I still have occasional pain in my lower right, where its always been, but its manageable. I refuse to go back on any type of biologic as I don't think its an over active immune system issue, plus those drugs nearly killed me.

I used remicade, humira an now in stelara, in 13 years, only some minor reactions and lost of efficacy.
Maybe you had just bad luck.
Biologics are a bless, try again, take some hygienic precautions.

Mycoplasma pneumonia was one of the causes for my Crohn’s symptoms. I would get pneumonia when it was way out of control. However, it was always in my intestinal tract.

I noticed when I was on antibiotics for the pneumonia (Z PAC) my Crohn’s symptoms improved for a time. It would come back months later. Possibly the antibiotics you were on had the same effect?

I finally eliminated the mycoplasma using the herbal remedy cryptolepis for about two months. I could reduce it using another method but not eliminate it.

Just another possibility. Glad you are doing better.

Dan

Try more specific Yoga breathing exercises such as
1. Alternate Nostril Breathing
2. Om Chanting (long breathing)

Not sharing any specific website, but you can search. These will help at lot. In general, do it slowly without putting too much stress on yourself, slowly increase duration. It helps calming your mind, reduce stress and inflow of oxygen and bring positive energy for healing!