• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Finally given in

So been depressed since May 2011.
I know its understandable and to be expected in what we all go through.

I was really resistant to taking anymore tablets than I already was. At the time I was taking 24 a day.

Anyway, back in November my GP, who is wonderful, gave me a prescription for citalopram. He said I could take 1 a day but if I statred to take them I needed to come back for more.

They sat in my meds case since then. On Friday after my fiasco with the consultant I decided I cant take another set back and keep positive any longer.

So on Saturday I started taking 1 a day.

My questions are the following:

1. Has anyone else been on these?

2 How long do the side effects last? Am getting nausea all day and a bit dizzy.

3. Did they work for you?

Apreciate all replies and advice.

Sharon xxxxx

Jessi

My prescription is for sertraline which took a month to start working. My dizziness is still there, but a lot less than the first month. I can drive now. I also had lower abdominal pains from the meds for the first couple weeks, but now nothing.

*edit*

I forgot to add that the daily pill works for me, but for big events, like an MRI or an infusion, I tend to panic a bit much. So my doc gave me Xanax for those times.

Astra

Hiya Sharon

I've not been on it, I'm on Amitriptyline. It's a tri cyclic anti depressant. Yours regulates serotonim levels. Pretty much same thing.
Yours will take up to 2 weeks to get going, drink plenty of water, no alcohol and small regular meals.
I'm loving Amitriptyline, it's a first line defence for IBS, ( I haven't got IBS) but it's stopped the cramping, spastic contractions that I was having, best of all it knocks me out at bedtime!
Lovely peaceful blissful sleep, you'll get there in the end!
Good luck hun
xxx

Thanks Joan.
I was taking amiltriptyline for pain relief and to help me sleep.
If I take it for more than 4 days in a row I get really bad headaches.
Will keep with it for as long as I can.
xxxxxx

Astra

And I was given it for really bad headaches!
As a preventative, but I think it's working
xxx

My doctor gave me a lecture about anti depressants as I was very anti taking them! He asked if I take pain killers for a headache or put a plaster on a wound why will I not take a "supplement" for the lack of seratonin my gut produced? I was at an all time low sitting in the consulting rooms with no energy, I was in too much pain to sleep and felt like giving up. I agreed to take cipramil 1 a day to humor him.... And after 2 weeks felt like a new person! I won't look back!

Seratonin is produced in your gut.... Well we all know how effective our guts are with CD right so if you are feeling low don't figt it use the medication to help... It certainly helped me.

Thank you So-over-CD.
I am now accepting the help I need.
Fingers crossed it does the same for me as it has for you.
xxxxxx

I'm on Lexapro, a Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor. I've been on it since 2006. It has done wonders for me. When I first started, I would get flushed and dizzy. Now I don't feel any problems. If the unwanted effects don't go away maybe ask your MD to try you on a different med?

Thanks for your suggestion.
Luckily after being on them a while the effects went away.
Now feel better than ever!
Been through the mill since january and am still being positive and looking forward to when i get better.
Xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I am not sure of the brand name of the drugs shazz and astra are taking. I take Welbutrin and it works for me. Although after 4 weeks I feel more "down" than I did before my Entocourt. Hope it even outs!! A low dose Xanax at bedtime or benedryl- could not deal with the RX sleeping meds!

Feel better soon