• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Finally making a bit of progress!

Recently I have been undergoing tests with my GI because of suspected crohns disease. After a clean colonoscopy she pretty much dismissed me and my symptoms. So I have been suffering for months, I decided something needed to be done so I went and saw my GP.

He did not seem surprised my GI was not helping me. He said that "my GI was done with me" and he is 100% right. After my bloodwork coming back clean he has decided to order a fluoroscopy and then probably a pill cam. Which im sure he would get for me if i asked him. He said if I had a clean pill cam I would have to accept its severe IBS. Not really great news but at least its finally some progress in my diagnosis.

Trysha

Staff member
Hello Brenden
It is too bad that the GI did not take a longer look , IBD diagnosis can be so elusive.
Colonoscopy is considered in the main to be a gold standard for IBD diagnosis.
However if it is in the small intestine or elsewhere in the body other than the colon there are other tests needed.
There are some GI people who are taking a long hard look at IBS and some consider it a precursor for crohn's.
A pill cam sounds like a good idea also a CAT scan and/or MRI--- there are a few tests that can be done for IBD diagnosis.
Maybe you need to see a different GI in the future.
Feel better soon
Hugs and best wishes
Trysha
PS love your picture---looks like Victor Stallone! or is it you?

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Sometimes diagnosis is very elusive - I'm still technically undiagnosed myself. I have some type of presumed IBD and I respond well to IBD meds - I don't respond well to IBS meds. Anyway, I have had tons of "normal" test results, including a pill cam that didn't find anything amiss. As Trysha said, sometimes it just hides really well.

I presume they took biopsies when you had your colonoscopy? As you probably already know, some types of IBD (particularly microscopic colitis) can only be found on biopsy. Have you been checked for other autoimmune illnesses? Sometimes other illnesses can mimic Crohn's-like symptoms - Lupus, Addison's, and Behcet's are the ones I can think of offhand. Have you tried any IBD meds? My doctors had no answers for me until I demanded to try prednisone - I was told that it doesn't work for IBS but it would work for IBD. It worked fantastically for me, so it seems I must have some type of IBD. Sometimes it's just a lot of trial & error and feeling like a human guinea pig to get anywhere with doctors.

I wish you a lot of luck with the pill cam! I hope it gets you a proper diagnosis so that you can get out of limbo and feel better.

Trysha - Thank you, and yes that is my idol Sylvester Stallone!

Cat-a-Tonc- They did take some biopsies so I dont think its MC. I have been do 3 different doctors and have undergone A LOT of tests so they have narrowed it down to IBD or IBS. And I may suggest trying prednisone as my joint pain is really bad. And also people have been noticing that my eyes are yellow. I wonder what that means.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Yellow eyes can mean jaundice - here's a link for you:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaundice
Jaundice can in turn mean liver issues. You may want to ask for some bloodwork to determine the cause of the jaundice. Your primary care doc should be able to help you sort that out.

I really feel for you, I've been through a lot of tests too and it is so frustrating and exhausting to go through all that and still not have proper answers. A trial of prednisone could be worthwhile to see if it does anything for you. I believe sulfasalazine can also help with both joint pain and IBD, so that's another one to consider trying. If you haven't seen a rheumatologist yet, that might be a good step to take, too. A rheumatologist can help figure out why you're having joint pains, if it's arthritis and what type of arthritis, how to treat it, etc.

Trysha

Staff member
Jaundice can also be due to gallbladder issues such as obstruction due to a gallstone
stuck in the bile duct.
You certainly need a good work up.
Starting with a full blood analysis.
Has your doc noted the jaundice?
I don't think Victor Stallone would put up with the issues you are currently enduring.
You need him in your corner....
Feel better soon
Hugs
Trysha

valleysangel92

Staff member
I agree with what the others have said, diagnosis in these situations can be really, really, hard to get, it took me nearly 5 years and its taken many others longer than that, a lot of us here still don't have a concrete diagnosis.

All I can say, is that you know your body best, if something doesn't feel right to you then keep on pushing, if you aren't happy with the answers you are getting, then remember that you have every right to ask for a second opinion. Definitely at least get them to do some proper blood work.