• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Financial Burden of Disease

G

Georg

Since my diagnosis I have been out of work. Because health insurance was almost $700 month through my work I opted out and just paid cash. Yes, kind of taking a gamble if something like this or even worse happend to my kids, but until now paying for the kids' physicals, ear infections and the like have saved me over $7,000 a year. Plus, I figured, my problems were something called IBS, that there was nothing I could do about except watch what I eat and stuff.

So I didn't think this would amount to a disease which has cost over $13,000 just in doctors' visits, a few procedures and prescriptions in the last 3 months. I paid over $400 the other day just for ASACOL! I don't even think the stuff works and I'm paying that kind of money!

What is one to do? I can't get unemployment. Do people get SSI or Disability for Crohn's? I don't know what I'd do without the help my family has shown me financially, but they have given all they can. And if I need an operation how can I pay for that?

How do you cope with the extra burden financially this disease takes?

Curious,
Georg :)

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
Hey Georg,

I am still at home with my parents as a university student covered under my parents plan. If I was not at home, I could opt into my university's health plan, which would pay for a large percentage of all drugs.

I give this as one of my solutions as there may be a group or organization you are apart of that has a group health or drug plan of some type that you could opt into. If not speak with family and friends and maybe they are part of one that you could join and get the benefits of a group plan of some sort.

Disability is received by some people. I would look into applying for it ASAP as a lot of people have some trouble getting it (takes a bit of time I think). It may help getting someone who understands how to do it best to help you (a lawyer in that field maybe). It will cost more money, but it may get you benefits much faster.

Good luck with this situation.

B

btcrv

Hey Georg,

Have you seen my post -- has crohn's put you in debt? PM me and I can give you some pointers maybe.

Good luck and keep your head up

R

Ruthg

finances

So sorry to hear you're having so many money worries, thats the least of your problems right now and stress will just exaserbate the problem. I quess in the UK we don't reallty realize how lucky we are, we don't have to pay health insurance, all our health care is free and our medication only costs a minimal fee of 6 pound something per item. Not that you need to hear that right now, but, I just can't believe how much you guy's have to pay. Anyway, as far as Asacol goes, it didn't work for me either, the capsules don't dissolve properly, end result - no good. So, I tries Pentasa, and its really good, its slow release and it doesn't taste of anything although the tablets are quite large and get a bit of getting used to. See if thats any cheaper, or even if its not, if you swap and you feel better, surely thats better than nothing???

Hope you start to feel a little better soon, sorry I can't be any help with your finances, don't understand how all the insurances etc work in your country....:confused2:

S

Skinsfan1229

I receive disability you can email me and ask me specifics about it if you'd like, christopherfirth@mail.com . I applied with no lawyer and got my first check in about a month and a half, no hassle, nothing, went smooth as could be, and I was actually EXPECTING to get denied.

By the way Im 21 and got disability, if I can get it at so young, then anyone can. Also some people think you need to work a certain amount of time before you can apply which isnt true.

D

davyb

Skinsfan1229 said:
I receive disability you can email me and ask me specifics about it if you'd like, christopherfirth@mail.com . I applied with no lawyer and got my first check in about a month and a half, no hassle, nothing, went smooth as could be, and I was actually EXPECTING to get denied.

By the way Im 21 and got disability, if I can get it at so young, then anyone can. Also some people think you need to work a certain amount of time before you can apply which isnt true.

hey skinsfan, i just emailed you about that. that would really help me

S

Skinsfan1229

I'm sorry I dont check my email that often I should have told you to just talk to me on here.

What is it that your wondering?