• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

First colonoscopy! Advise please!

I have my first colonoscopy on tuesday and I'm so nervous/embarressed! The dr prescribed trilyte for the prep. Which flavor is best? Any advise would be greatly appreciated I have never done this before and have no idea what to expect. Thanks!

I've never had trilyte for prep-I've had something called Go Lightly, and the best flavor in my opinion is lemon.

Honestly, most people here would agree the prep is the worst part. Get yourself some Tucks pads, Prep H and some good trashy magazines to read in the bathroom, plus whatever kind of aerosol fragrance you like, maybe a candle. Alot of people like their IPods and Laptops,too. When you're prepping, be sure to wear stretchy pants, preferably with an elastic waist, because once that prep kicks in there's not alot of time for messing around with buttons.

The day of your colonoscopy, be sure to take off any fingernail polish and wear clothes that are easy to get on/take off and are comfy. Slip on shoes are a must; also undies that are cotton/comfy/you don't care what happens to.

Do you know if your going to get a local anethesia? I recommend this, especially for the first one, if you are really super nervous-makes it much easier on you. Don't hesitate to ask your doctor, but do it ahead of time, like a few days before. You basically go in, get the meds and when you wake up its over. If you have alot of gas, don't hold it in, just let er rip; they introduce air into the bowel and if it can't come out it makes you uncomfortable.

You might have some abdominal discomfort afterward, so keep Tylenol on hand, a heating pad is great, too. Even though you're starving, try to eat a mild, smallish size meal right after; you can always have more later-nothing with alot of fiber, or hard to digest til you know how you feel.

Best wishes on your colonoscopy-hope all goes great! Keep us posted! :)

Colonoscopy

Hi
That is sound advice Jeanette, I have them regularly.
Take the sedation, it really does help, the procedure is not painful at all, just a little weird. You can see your insides on a screen, live video feed of your guts. I recall loads of sweetcorn stuck to my guts on the very first one. That stuff would withstand nuclear attack!!

Don't be worried, you will be fine. Don't try & be polite, fart like a good 'un once the procedure is done. Get rid of the gas or it will hurt later.

Good luck, thinking of 'ya

Tony
xxx:hug:

In the US "knock-out" sedation is routinely given, unlike the UK, we only get "twilight". So chances are you will be asleep.
I promise you 100% once you are through the prep, it will be a breeze from there onwards.

Basically what has already been said.

The prep is the worst part, the actual procedure isn't painful at all, it just feels a little odd when they blow air in to open it up. Here in the UK you can either have it with no sedation or with a sedation to help you relax but generally won't be knocked out unless you are an extreme case as it makes it much harder because you generally need to be on your side and your legs tucked up in a certain position as well as the higher risk of perforation when you are knocked out as you can't tell them if anything is wrong/really painful.
I know in the US they will happily knock you out but I personally wouldn't go that route and just go for sedation for the reasons I stated as well as being able to watch it all on a screen, it's very surreal watching the journey through your guts but in a good/interesting way.

I found that eating lightly the day or two before prep day makes the prep a lot easier. Less food in there = less to come out!

Make sure also to drink plenty of water/clears as long as you're allowed, because it will keep up your hydration, which will make you feel a lot better. :)

good luck, i've had one without any sedation and one completely knocked out but it's seriously not as bad as you think, these doc's do it day in day out so don't be embarrassed they don't even look at you as they're looking at the screen and your well covered up. I felt great after both scopes thanks to the prep if thats any help!!

the prep goes down easier if it's cold and you drink it through a straw. try to get the straw back as far as you can. it helps it get past your gag reflex.

i had cherry flavor. it really wasn't that bad.

All of this is sound advice. I never considered being awake for the procedure... but I understand why people would want to.. I kind of enjoy the forced sleepy time for some reason...

I never got a prep, per se... I had to take four dulcolax tablets, and then dump a bottle of miralax powder into two bottles of gatoraid (any flavor but cherry) and drink that all day the night before... that stuff they give you before a ct scan is AWFUL... and they put berries on the bottle... like it's a smoothie... bastards...

Am I the only one who found it awful? Mine was extremely painful even though I was sedated .. Now I'm wondering if its because I had some narrowing .. But they seemed in a rush and very bulshy so didn't even explain anything other than 'inflammation' .... Its true though the prep is the worst, don't u hate trying to drink stuff when your not thirsty? That's what I found hard lol

Great advice here, especially from Mountaingem. I've had the Trilyte 4 times. Here are a few things I've learned that help me:

Prep:
-Avoid the flavoring all together, easier to get down in my opinion. (Added too much lemon powder the first time and made the drink even more unbearable).
-Chill the drink (much better a little cold) but avoid ice cold - brain freeze much?
-Definitely stock up on magazines, scented candle, maybe even a playlist and some pillows for the bathroom. Make this room your sanctuary.

Procedure:
You should be pretty out of it, if you're feeling any discomfort speak up so they know to give you a higher dose of medicine. You've suffered enough, no need to play martyr.

Post-Procedure:
The amount of air left in you will vary greatly by doctor performing this procedure. The more they can get out, the more comfortable you will be when you wake up. I tend to have a lot of gas and bloating pain so be prepared for this to last the evening/night just in case. Stretching/rolling on your sides/pressing your stomach lightly help. You will feel infinitely better as you get the air out, this is the most important thing.

A bit late here, but better than never I guess. I use magnessium (sp?) citrate for my cleansing for colonoscopies, and other test that requires it. I like the cherry flavor on ice best. 2 bottles of that stuff and wow! cleaned out, and you can get the stuff at the Dollar Tree sometimes, or at your local pharmacy OTC fairly cheap. How did your test go? My first one was scary too, but I have a super dr. that maded me feel better about the whole thing, plus the drugs helped, lol. I've had so many I'm numb to the idea of them anymore. I guesss it's something you'll get used to with having IBD. Best wishes though, and I pray everything went well. Take care!!