• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

First Crohn's then Not then Lupus then Crohn's then Behcet's

I have been struggling with gut issues since I was a youngin! I am now 47 years old and have a confirmed diagnosis of Behcet's Disease. But as you can tell from my title it was a struggle to get my diagnosis.

I have a lot of the classic Crohn's symptoms from ulcers in my small bowel and large intestines to inflammation of my ileum. I have had stomach ulcers so my doctors said it was Crohn's until I had to change GI's over and over. I live in rural Oregon and GI's don't stick around long here. So how did my doctors go from Crohn's to lupus to Behcet's well once you put migraines, kidney issues, eye issues, skin sores, mouth ulcers, and genitalia ulcerations that aren't related to any STD or herpes virus we had the answer. It only took 20+ years to get a Behcet's Diagnosis.

I take many of the same drugs people with Crohn's take and like Crohn's there is no cure only treatment of symptoms. Right now as I have for many years I am dealing with that all to familiar bloody mucusy "D" stomach ulcers and the pain of joints.

I take Imuran, Methotrexate, Propranolol, Folic Acid Vit D. Potassium and a multi vit. supplement and will add prednisone to list tomorrow. :(

:ybatty: I have had over 20 colonoscopies, upper GI's, Barium swallow tests SMFT cameras shoved here there and everywhere. I have had skin, rectal, intestinal, mouth and vaginal biopsies :eek2: My Rhmy doctor thinks I have a rare form of Crohn's while most of my doctors (GI, Dermatologist, Primary, Ophthalmologist, gyno, urologist) thinks its Behcet's but I am at the point who cares what label you put on me just fix me please.

I am fighting a bad flare and feel alone with my disease Crohnies understand the crap I face better then anyone that's why I joined this group. :hug:

Thanks for letting me join!
:ghug:
TaxiMom
AKA
Debbi B from Oregon

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Hi TaxiMom and welcome to the forum! :D

I'm sorry to hear about everything you've gone through. :hug: I agree though, who cares about the name at this point, just make you better already. The medication list is very similar so hopefully something will do the trick for you. Although I'm sorry to hear about the Prednisone. Feel free to join The Miserable Prednisonites Club where we all hate on the stuff but take it if we really really need to. :tongue:

I'm glad you joined and look forward to talking to you more on the forum. :)

Hi welcome to the forum,
Sorry to hear about your current flare. Like you and Jennifer said the name is not what is important but the treatment is! Sending you hugs!

my little penguin

Staff member
Big hugs
Sorry about the delay in dx.
Some Rheumos have more experience than others with bechets .
Some bechets patients have had a lot of luck with biologics .
Have you tried those ?

DS's Gi and Rheumo have suggested bechets is a possibility for DS but since the drugs are the same and crohn's is a good fit - he has crohn's PLUS

Welcome