• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

First day back and got an ileostomy.. schooool...

So I'm going in to school at 12:45 and staying till it ends at 2:40 I'm so nervous.
My school are known for crap communication so what if they didn't read the stoma nurses email... what if I turn up and they aren't ready and I have to go home... What if my bag leaks in the middle of a lesson, or if someone accidentally touches it and gets freaked out..

Omg so many thoughts. Gotta be up by 11am and I'm still awake at 2am. I'm so nervous I can't sleep.
I haven't even met half my teachers I was set in September and people will have so many questions.. I doubt ill see any of your replies in time but please do comment anyway, I really need help.

I'm so nervous. I don't think anyone at school gets my bag or anything and they will probably be awkward.

Nyx

Honestly, unless you tell them, they won't even know you have a bag. I know how scary it is going to school for the first time with your new bag - I went to college when mine was fairly new. I think we work ourselves up and make it much worse that it ever will be. I don't know if you're comfortable with it, but can you talk to your teachers privately and let them know what's going on with you? I did that with my prof's and they were very understanding and helpful. I was worried that i was going to have a loud stoma during tests etc., but it turned out that that didn't happen at all.

I'm not sure this was helpful...lol But have a good first day back! Try not to worry.

nogutsnoglory

Ki3 I would be hesitant to tell your classmates unless you are totally prepared for anything jerky on their part. I think you said you are 14 and kids can be mean and not understanding. If you can brush off any negative comments than its fine but if you might get hurt it's not worth it. Maybe only a few select people need to know?

dave13

Forum Monitor
We are here for you Ki3! People,not just kids,can be cruel.I hope all goes well for you today!It can be hard to be strong,especially in the face of ignorance.I will send you good thoughts today.Let us know how it goes :ghug:

I hope your first day back goes well. I read the stories of so many people on this forum & am always amazed at peoples strength & spirit.
As they say down under "she'll be right mate!!". Have a great day back

I hope your day goes well.
Remember, like I tell my four year old, you've done nothing wrong and you have nothing to be ashamed about.
Please remember that as life goes on.

Hugs

I'm an old bat, but I am currently in school. I was worried about people finding out about my bag, but it's been 4 months of sitting in class for 7 hours, including eating lunch with the same classmates, and no one knows. Don't worry about anyone finding out...they won't know unless you choose to tell them.

My classes are medically-based and I am planning on doing a presentation about mine, including the fact that they never knew I had one! :)

Ki3 I hope your school day went smoothly.

I was a similar age to you when I had my Ileostomy, I remember the exact same things going through my head. I was freaking out the whole time, I got home and realized I had no bag leaks, no one treated me any differently, no one even knew....I was just the same normal person to them.

All my friends had their own insecurities and concerns to - turning up with pimples, other girls fussing over their periods - they weren't focused on me or my bag. When I did tell some close friends they had no idea and weren't freaked out - they actually wanted to see, poke it and thought it was cool in a bizarre way. I became comfortable with my ileostomy and with that I knew who I was comfortable in telling and how I managed school.

Maybe carrying a letter from your stoma nurse with you in a diary, that way if your school questions something you have a copy on hand. If your bag leaks it's alright these things happen, you can excuse yourself and change it like you have done many times beforehand...take deep break and do each thing one step at a time.

You have already been through many things with crohns and surgery - making you a little stronger each time, you sound like a tough cookie to face all that so you can do this :)

Thank you all so much! School went well, nobody has said anything bad and the pastoral leader gathered three of my closest friends and told them about my stoma(awkwardest convo over....) I'm going for two lessons tomorrow as I have PE last which I can only watch so it would be stupid to just go for that.

nogutsnoglory

Why do you have to attend PE if you can't participate? Can't they let you off the hook for that one or get another class?