• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

First day--Success!

Today was my first day back in school. I'm more than over-the-hill in years, but today was an especially big day for me in that I have been working from home for the last 6 years because of UC. Now that I have Sideshow Bob, I am liberated from my previous limitations and have begun studying to be a Surgical Tech to assist in surgery. AND, I didn't have any issues with my stoma today, even with being in a classroom for 6 hours. Well, he did start mouthing off a bit in the middle of a big silence 20 minutes after lunch break, but he apparently didn't have much to say and went back to being quiet before it became an issue with anyone else.

I am very happy....and tired! But mostly happy!

nogutsnoglory

That's fantastic news and I can see how liberating and encouraging that can be. I'm glad you are able to pursue your dreams and not let this disease hold you back.

Oh yay!! That is so exciting!!! You are one tough cookie :) I hope the rest of the semester will be wonderful and that Sideshow Bob behaves for you!

annawato

Staff member
Woohoo! How nice to be getting your life back. Its very easy to get stuck at home with this disease so heres to sideshow bob for allowing you to get out and about and follow your dreams. Have you got a nursing background or is it something new that you've always wanted to do?

Thanks and cheers to Bob!!

Medicine has always been my second love (music is my first). No nursing background, but I was a medical transcriptionist for the last 10 years and have learned a ton just by doing my job. I have always loved typing up the surgery reports more than any other aspect of the job and am so excited to get to be part of the scene. Now to just get through the program! Hahaha! In just a few more weeks, I will be scrubbed up and begin assisting in surgeries once a week..just baby steps of observing at the start, but then assisting as I get further into school. EEK! :D So excited!

annawato

Staff member
2thy that is SO exciting. I wish you all the best with the course and your new career.
:heart: anna

Had all of my semester exams this week. Yesterday was the biggest and scariest of them all--we either pass or get kicked out of the program altogether. My instructors are the only people in the program that know I have a stoma, and even then we have never discussed it other than my passing comment at the beginning of the semester.

So, right before they started the timer for my one-on-one final exam, one instructor asked me if I had any last questions. I said, "No. I just need to keep my shit together." To which she burst out laughing and said, "You've got a bag for that!"

HAHAHA!!! I really cracked up!! Talk about getting rid of last minute tension and putting me at ease. ....and I aced the test!

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
Congrats on our A!!!!!! :congratualtions: I'm glad they were able to put you at ease before the test too! Hopefully now you'll be able to relax for a little bit. Here's a hope that the rest of the classes go just as well for you! :hug:

annawato

Staff member
Congrats 2thy! Its so nice hearing about someone whose life has been made so much better with a stoma. As usual you gave me a good laugh too.