• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

First flare, and it's a doozy

I was diagnosed in 1994 with Crohn's disease, and placed on Prednisone. After three months (and thirty gained pounds), I was officially declared to be in remission. 19 years later, and now I'm experiencing my first real flare. I've had times over the years when I felt some minor discomfort that passed in a day or two, but no other symptoms. Now for the last several months, I've had night sweats, fluctuating weight, bloating, and gas.
The past two weeks now I've had burning pain in both my right and left lower abdominal quadrant, which now seems to be spreading up into the upper quadrants. Upon doing some research, it seems I've been eating the precisely wrong diet for a Crohn's flare, along with taking 1600 mg. of Ibuprofen daily (I also have myriad back problems).
I have not been able to schedule a colonoscopy yet, but with my list of symptoms (alternating constipation and diarrhea, bloating especially after meals, pain and night sweats) it seems to me that this must be a flare. Since I've never had one before I'm really not sure what to expect. I'm planning to change my diet, starting tonight, to stop eating all of the raw vegetables and high-fiber, whole grain foods I usually eat. I'm wondering if anyone has any advice for me? This belly pain is quite disruptive and distracting. I'm also quite active and hoping I don't have to restrict my activity.

Also focus on what you are drinking. Carbonated beverages will usually cause issues and since they are not healthy for you anyway, try to eliminate those. You don't say your age, but some of what you describe are also perimenopausal symptoms...a thought....sounds like you need to change up the diet and hopefully add walking each day to your routine to keep the blood flowing and get circulation moving in those bowels! Feel better soon!

Jim (POPS)

Jim (Pops)
I would make sure to see your GI as soon as you can. Crohns left unchecked gat get pretty bad at times. You don't want to end up there.

I hope you feel better soon.

Jim
(Pops)

thanks everyone, for your help and advice. I am cutting out all soda, whole grains, nuts, berries, fruit and raw vegetables, as well as red meat and sugar. I'm feeling a bit like there is not much left for me to eat! I am also lactose intolerant. I am 40 years old, and my NP doesn't think it sounds like perimenopause. I also had an ultrasound to check on my ovaries (I had a hysterectomy in 2005) and they look fine and I'm still ovulating. I do get on my elliptical twice a day, 45 minutes each time, but that can be challenging as well when my belly burns as badly as it does sometimes. I'm trying to get into a doc for a colonscopy but I just moved a few months ago and hadn't established with a doc yet. I'm hopeful I can see someone in the next couple of weeks.

Dukeis

Dynastic Overlord
That Ibuprofen is a big no no for people with IBD. I bet it is causing you a lot of problems.

Yep, and I regret that I didn't know that. Today will be my first day not taking it. I'm hoping for less burning and pain today but it's been getting worse and worse previous to this. I guess it's back to Tylenol for me... not that it does that much.

I've been reluctant to try yoga because my back is double-fused and I can't do a lot of bending or twisting. Is there a modified form that might be more back-friendly?

Any class you take should be open to you only doing what you can and not pushing hard...I found Bikram Yoga working great for me. Some days I can't do too much, but I find the heat relaxes my sinews and reduces inflammation/bloating....do what you can, take it slow and try whatever works for you.