• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

First GI visit

dave13

Forum Monitor
I see my GI for the first time in February.I was wondering what this first meeting will be like?I had a resection of my small intestine,duodenum,11-25-13.I have had one bad flare up,but otherwise doing well.My surgeon said I was in remission,can you have a flare up and be considered in remission? I would welcome any input on a first meeting with your GI.Thanks

I see my GI for the first time in February.I was wondering what this first meeting will be like?I had a resection of my small intestine,duodenum,11-25-13.I have had one bad flare up,but otherwise doing well.My surgeon said I was in remission,can you have a flare up and be considered in remission? I would welcome any input on a first meeting with your GI.Thanks
No, a remission means no flares. You can have minor setbacks but you should bring this up with your GI

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
I wouldn't be surprised if they will mention about how you're doing since your resection. They might even mention about what medications you should or will be taking. You'll also be talking about a plan as to how to achieve or maintain remission. Basically, this more or less will be a normal first appointment to get to know each other and figure out where you're to go with your new challenge.

dave13

Forum Monitor
My resection was 8 weeks ago,my flare up was 12-27.Our dogs ran off on Christmas morning and were gone for 2 nights and 3 days.We got them back on 12-27,THANK YOU MAINE LOST DOG RECOVERY on facebook!My wife brought home chinese takeout from town to celebrate.I had a steamed dish,I cut out all fried foods after surgery.I eventually gave in to the call of a crab rangoon.I was violently sick around 2:30am the next morning.This is what I'm calling a flare up.Is that correct?I have had no other issues before or since eating that rangoon.I was told my crohn's is in an unusual place,the duodenum.My surgeon said they removed all the small intestine affected,thankfully only 8 inches or so,and I was in remission.Is my getting sick a flare-up?If not,what is?Should I be worried about crohn's in other places?Was my surgeon incorrect and I am not in remission?I don't want to take any medication.I'll do what I have to but I would rather approach this in a naturopathic way as much as possible.I'm stressing out more as my GI appointment approaches. :ybatty:

I would say the food did just not agree with you. A flair would continue on for awhile. I have that happen every week or two. It sounds to me that you are doing good.

dave13

Forum Monitor
I modified my diet quite a bit.I am now gluten free and stopped drinking alcohol.I was a big beer drinker and that alone has made me feel better.I stopped eating anything deep fried.I seem to be able to handle fiber o.k. so I eat a lot of fresh fruit and veg.I bake,broil or grill my meats.I get my meats and dairy from local organic farms.I am introducing dairy back into my diet in small doses.I use whole raw milk,mostly in cooking.I use almond milk for my cereal.I am trying to make all the food I eat.I find that eating simple meals takes a fair amount of time to prepare and is a challenge.I eat a lot of fermented foods such as kimchi and sauerkraut as well.I'm slowly getting the hang of gluten free baking,thanks to support from co-workers and family,who already do so and share their tips.Wow...I sure can ramble.I want to be proactive and be as healthy as I can.I have a surgery for a inguinal hernia next week,my first day home from a resection I lifted something and...once that is taken care of I hope for a decent uneventful stretch for awhile.This ramble started out as a thanks to sfmreb2 for the flare up info...thanks!

Hi Dave13, After having Crohn's for many years and not knowing I had it, I was diagnosed in Oct 2013, due to a partial intestinal blockage. I had my colon removed over 30 years ago and have had an ileostomy since then. I thought my watery stool was normal for the ileostomy, but apparently it's not. Since my Crohn's diagnosis, I have eliminated ALL grains, legumes and dairy from my diet and have noticed a marked improvement in the 'quality' of my ileo output. I have had 2 scopes of the small intestine since Oct, and the inflammation has been reduced to the point that my GI says it is reasonable not to use medication. This may change if symptoms return. I don't have enough of a stretch of time on this diet to be 100% sure it is keeping me in remission, but so far it's been great. (Aside: My GI doc said diet is not a factor in managing Crohn's.) I am eating many more vegetables, now, than I have for years, and have no trouble digesting them. Like you, I want to give myself the best chance possible to stay healthy, even if it means giving up some 'comfort' foods. Many recipes on Paleo diet sights are delicious. You may want to check the thread ' paleo diet success?' Quite an inspiring story.
Good luck, Dave13, and let us know how you are doing.