• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

First Post-My Story

Hello everyone,

while i have been dealing with Crohn's related pain for around six months now I wanted to share my story with all of you and get an advice/reaction to it.
Here it goes.

In late August I went off to college for the first time. I came from the west coast to michigan, and the first night at school had a horrible overdrinking episode. I completely blacked out for 5 hours and was throwing up constantly for around 12 hours. The next day I was throwing up incessantly and had terrible stomach pains. I obviously thought these were hangover pains. However the next night my stomach pains were still terrible. I decided to head to the ER, where I was given 2 IVs and morphine and had blood and urine taken, and an ultrasound. The ultrasound was normal, as was everything but my Alkaline Phosphate level in my liver. The doctors said I had gastritis and prescribed me omeprazole, an acid blocker, for the pain. Over the next week or so I slowly began to feel better. The next week was rush for fraternities and I decided to suck it up and try and drink. However this made me feel even worse. After a month without relief I went to see a GI. He told me to stop drinking and ordered me an endoscopy, which again showed nothing--though he did not take a biopsy. He said I had IBS and gave me Levbid and then Librax, both of which did nothing. Finally in November, without relief, and having lost 12 pounds and beginning to feel depression from my illness I came home from college to get better care.
I went to a new GI in November who did a colonoscopy which showed a few pinpoint ulcers in my lower part of my small intestine. At the time he prescribed nothing. The pain continued steadily until I had a Capsule Endoscopy in January. This showed more pinpoint ulcers higher up in my small intestine. My doctor told me I had something like Crohn's, but wouldn't give me a definite diagnosis. He gave me Pentasa 4x a day for the pain. This seemed to work for a while, but after a month I began to have terrible headaches and he stopped the meds. I then had a gastric emptying test which was again normal. A few weeks ago I switched to a pediatric GI at UCSF in San Francisco. My doctor is 1 million times more focused on me than any other doctor this far. He ordered blood and stool tests quickly and has stated he is confident he will find what is wrong and get me into remission. Two days after that, I had to go to the ER for terrible stomach pain. I was screaming from pain, couldn't hold down even liquids and rushed to the ER. They kept me overnight and did an MRI of my abdomen, called an MRE, then next morning. This only showed inflamed lymph nodes in the stomach, I don't think Crohn's related but possibly a flare. The doc prescribed me Flaygl for 2 weeks which I just finished, Apriso for Crohn's, Omeprazole for acid reduction and tramadol for any pain. I have a HUGE endoscopy/colonoscopy on Tuesday that I am quite nervous for, because I want to figure out the cause of my problems.

Getting to my specific problems, my current symptoms are as follows (long list):
Stomach visible bloating hard to press, pain in upper stomach above belly button right after eating for around an hour-3 hours. My pain quiets when I don't eat for a while.
Dark Urine (maybe just need to drink more water bc of Crohn's)
Night Sweats (occasional, new since stomach problems)
Pain and discomfort lingers all day in upper stomach but is much worse after meals
Changed Stools: Seems like undigested food, yellow, have to go many times a day though not diarrhea. Well formed, though sometimes ribbon like and always feel like not relieving self or finishing bm. Sometimes blood, sometimes muccus. Always ribboning at end of bm and undigested. Feel worse after bms for around 30 min. Big Issue
Pain where stool is when making bm, like inflammation blocking stool from exiting colon.
Feel better when I eat less or more plainly.

Current Meds:

Apriso 1x/day 4 pills in morning
omeprazole 1x/day
lexapro 10 mg 1x/day
(Just finished flaygl for 2 weeks)

I would love some feedback on what people think is going on and some advice. Really lost. I have pain constantly that I NEVER had before august and want to lead a normal life. Some days are better than others and I don't know why. There is no pattern, drinking doesn't seem to upset it, sometimes I even feel better the next day because it seems to flush me out. Not sure if this is Crohn's or something else. Please help me out

B

P.S. My Father has Crohn's and had IBS in his twenties
Also had a food poisioning incident in the DR this summer that possibly could have caused something? Just a thought.

Thanks for the replies!

Jim (POPS)

Jim (Pops)
I am sorry to here that you are going through all of this. I hope the GI finds the proublum soon. I would keep coming to this forum for support. Also, the chatroom is a great source of support. The pepole there understand what you are going through and can answer your questions.

Angrybird

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

The symptoms you have can certainly happen with crohn's given your family history there is a stronger chance that you have this. Whilst not pleasant the upcoming procedure will hopefully help towards getting you an answer, hopefully biopsies will be taken as these can confirm what is happening even if things look clear. Do you notice whether certain foods make your tummy worse? Have your vitamin levels been checked and do you whether you doc has tested for other things (like SIBO, coeliac etc)?

AB
xx

Hi angrybird,

thanks for checking in. I have had all proteins checked and for diseases like celiacs and sibo. The docs definitely think I have some sort of IBD at this point and nothing infectious.

Hi everyone, the biopsies preliminary results are back. The doctor says I have a high white blood cell count in my esophagus and have GERD and some irritation or damage to my esophagus. They are prescribing me a Acid Blocker like 3 doses higher than the omeprazole I am on now. Considering the symptoms I listed above, I feel like this explains some, but lacks to explain the changes in my bowel movements and pain in the stomach region. Does anyone have any info, ideas about this? I do not have any inflammation or problems in my colon or small intestine from the colonoscopy and do not have Crohn's as originally believed. I do not know much about GERD. Thanks

Angrybird

Did any biopsies get taken during the scope? I don't know much about GERD myself but from what I have read about it symptoms can include pain in the upper abdomen and a change in stools. When will you next see the doc to see if things have improved on the new treatment?

Yes they took biopsies throughout, apparently there is a bit of inflammation in my colon, but nothing significant. Will meet with my doctor next Tuesday or Wednesday to discuss it all. Although my stomach pain has been better the last few days, I have tremendous colon pain where it feels like stool is stuck. I can make small bowel movements that are thin and long, but nothing to satisfy the pain. Might take some miralax to help it through? I feel like my ribbony stools might be related to something different to GERD, could it be like a muscle problem down there?

Angrybird

I would question the doc about the inflammation found in your colon and whether they were able to see what was happening in your small intestine to make sure there isn't an issue there. Also if there has been no improvement in the pain and your bm's then they might need to look at your treatment regime. They should hopefully also have the biopsy results which might also give a clearer picture of what is going on inside.