• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

First surgey

first surgey

hi guys, i'm new to this forum! my brother told me about it, he's got crohns too, although much more serve than mine!

i got diagnoised with crohns last year, after many failed attempts to get it sorted, it wasn't untill i moved house, and switched doctors! after my colonoscpy and drinking some lovely barium, I was told I had crohns, affecting my large and small intestine. I went on steriods and mesalazine, neither seemed to work, although steriods were awesome, I could actually eat a proper meal... my appetite was amazing, but when something didnt agree with me, I could never get to the toliet in time :(
ANYWAY I'm rambling, never really spoken about it in detail...

long story short my last visit with the consultant resulted in him refering me for surgery, and was wondering how other people have got on with surgery???
He said it would be a re section, and would either be done through key hole or open surgery, but i would have to wait till I spoke to the surgen

sorry for the looooooooong post :)

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Welcome ImElvis!!! You must be from the UK? Only peeps from UK say consultant. There are plenty here from UK and can help you!

Your post was not long, unless you chopped it off lol. I have had two resections, my first was Keyhole (laproscopic) and was healed and bounced back with relief of 7 years. I stayed on Entocort, it was the "drug" of choice and was new at the time. Worked for me.

There are many young people on here with all kinds of surgery to cheer you on. Great bunch here, welcome aboard!!!! ;)

I think I had the same surgery, I didn't require a bag luckily afterwards.

The surgery was the best thing that ever happened regarding my Crohn's, I'm still in remission 5 years on...fingers crossed.

I'm also from the UK! How old are you?

Thank you :) 7 years remission JettaLady?!? thats awesome! makes it so worth it I imagine :)

I'm 24 Bobby, you sound so enthusiastic about surgery, even thats making me feel at ease... everyone here is so lovely!

I'm 19, I had the surgery when I was 14. I'm fighting fit (literally) train in MMA, boxing, thai boxing, bjj, wrestling, a lot of time lifting weights, as well as a stresful job monday - friday and of course the nights out at weekend!

Surgery was the last straw for me, nothing else worked! If you're lucky to find a med that works for you then so be it!

Aww thats really cool :) I'm trying to get fit before my surgery, so hard when I feel so tired all the time! doesnt feel like the last straw for me, but apparently its the best straw! here's hoping!

I am new and recently diagnosed. I cannot offer you much information regarding surgery because I just started my treatment. There are a ton of compassionate people on here willing to help in any way they can. I am 19 and suffered for years. I'm here if you need a quick chat!

I had the surgery and I now feel the best I've ever felt in my entire life. Going from the worst condition to the best condition of my body in literally 2 months.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Aww thats really cool :) I'm trying to get fit before my surgery, so hard when I feel so tired all the time! doesnt feel like the last straw for me, but apparently its the best straw! here's hoping!
Excellent idea! Keeping everything taut the waist down helps better in recovery.

I'll warn you that your ab muscles where they cut in to you get so weak as they cut through the muscle! have to build them from scratch! :(

you guys are making me feel 10000x better. i got surgery 12 days ago and am feeling better already. yea my poor abs :( i had a 4pack too LOL

Dallies

Dragonfly
Hi Dekar, My daughter will need surgery hopefully Keyhole (laproscopic) to remove 12cm of small bowel due to a stricture. Great that you are feeling much better.

Dallies

Dragonfly
We saw the consultant today and he thinks it will be the end August. She is getting on well with the liquid diet. I think that's the earliest that they can do it. We see another consultant on the 29th July - I am hoping to try to bring it forward so that she can recover over the school holidays.

I'll warn you that your ab muscles where they cut in to you get so weak as they cut through the muscle! have to build them from scratch! :(
Thats the bit I'm not looking forward too! being weak afterwards is going to be tough :( got an appointment on 20th august, to dicuss my options with the surgen :)

How's everyone getting on? I feel full of beans today!

Hey ImElvis, I had surgery about the same time as Zalanicht and definately the best decision I ever made!! It completely gave me my life back! I just hope like Bobby and Jetta that I stay in remission for a while now. Best of luck and hope everything runs smoothly for you :)

Hi Claire!
thats so good to hear! glad you've got your life back :)
If you don't mind me asking what type of surgery did you have? and did it take long before you felt normal again?

I had open surgery a right hemi-colectomy I think thats what they called it, the surgeon did a fantastic job with the incision really did a neat job and was out of the hosp in 4 days, a few weeks of home rest and back to normal.
I'm not really aiming for a six pack like these guys lol so I only hit the gym just to build my fitness back up because it was terrible and still is compared to what it used to be. But all in good time, I was eating like crazy the second I got home lol