• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

First time with an abscess, HELP!

Hi, not sure if this is the place to start but I need some help/assistance/advice.

I do not know if I have Crohn's and until today I had never even thought that I might have it.. but lately some things have started to make me wonder.

Here are some things I deal with...

- If I'm not careful with my eating/cleaning of my anal area.. I will end up with hemmorhoids very quickly. I've had them dozens of times, and I've had to get them lanced twice. I hate it.
- If I get nervous I have to use the bathroom.. doesn't matter if I just went 10 minutes ago.. if I get nervous I immediately have the urge to go.
- I have inflammation in my underarms that itches and I scratch sometimes til it bleeds. I have scratch marks all over my legs from scratching random places without realizing.

Now... I have two abscesses around my anus. When I first noticed them I just thought I had been sitting in my chair too long editing. (I work in film.) I noticed some itchiness and minor discomfort but it wasn't bad. I started feeling around and noticed 2 stiff "patches" of skin. One was a little tender and the other didn't hurt at all. I messed with the tender one, and it started draining blood and puss. The other one didn't really do anything.

I started looking on the internet for what I could do to avoid surgery on these things because I don't have insurance nor the money to get it done. And almost unanimously it was suggested to try Turmeric powder mixed with tea tree oil applied directly to the abscesses. I've been doing that for 2 days at night as well as taking a 500mg turmeric supplement every morning. I'm currently at the end of night 2, and right now I'm pretty miserable. My brain is telling me that it has to get worse before it gets better and that this is a sign of it coming to a head so it will burst.. but I'm just not sure...

I'm going to keep doing what I'm doing to see where we end up, but I really want to avoid surgery if possible. I just cannot afford it or the trauma it would cause me and my business right now.

Any advice or suggestions are appreciated.

I'm also sitting in hot tub water for 10-20 minutes.

Welcome. You might be able to go to a doctor and see if there is medicine that could take care of it. Best to you.

Bufford

Be very careful.........
I had the very same thinking and approach to dealing with abscesses such as yours. It worked many times for me after having had some horrible experiences when getting them lanced back in the 1980's. The excruciating pain of these day surgeries were such a bad experience that through the 1990's I was able to work my way through an abscess until it would drain on its own as you describe well.
Then came the big one that refused to drain in 2001 that left me with a colostomy bag for the rest of my life. It almost killed me due to infection, the abscess appeared small on the surface, but once the surgeon drained a full liter (quart) of puss I was told the damage in the area was so severe that I needed colostomy surgery.
It was to be temporary but due to severe scar tissue and recurring inflammation from Crohn's I have to live with it for the rest of my life. Life with the bag has its own problems, but if you can reduce any further damage you might be able to avoid this kind of surgery.

I had an abscess this past summer. And it needed two surgeries. Plus I developed a fistula. Don't wanna scare you, but I would definitely go see a doctor. They can get worse, even if you don't have Crohn's. My dad and aunt both had abscesses and neither have Crohn's. However, they both needed medical attention to treat it them successfully. They'll just keep coming back if not taken care of.

I had an abscess this past summer. And it needed two surgeries. Plus I developed a fistula. Don't wanna scare you, but I would definitely go see a doctor. They can get worse, even if you don't have Crohn's. My dad and aunt both had abscesses and neither have Crohn's. However, they both needed medical attention to treat it them successfully. They'll just keep coming back if not taken care of.
I had an abscess that kept me bleeding for three months. I had to have it drained more than once. The second time, I had to be in the hospital for a week with medicine given by IV. Go see a doctor

Hi, not sure if this is the place to start but I need some help/assistance/advice.

I do not know if I have Crohn's and until today I had never even thought that I might have it.. but lately some things have started to make me wonder.

Here are some things I deal with...

- If I'm not careful with my eating/cleaning of my anal area.. I will end up with hemmorhoids very quickly. I've had them dozens of times, and I've had to get them lanced twice. I hate it.

- If I get nervous I have to use the bathroom.. doesn't matter if I just went 10 minutes ago.. if I get nervous I immediately have the urge to go.

- I have inflammation in my underarms that itches and I scratch sometimes til it bleeds. I have scratch marks all over my legs from scratching random places without realizing.

Now... I have two abscesses around my anus. When I first noticed them I just thought I had been sitting in my chair too long editing. (I work in film.) I noticed some itchiness and minor discomfort but it wasn't bad. I started feeling around and noticed 2 stiff "patches" of skin. One was a little tender and the other didn't hurt at all. I messed with the tender one, and it started draining blood and puss. The other one didn't really do anything.

I started looking on the internet for what I could do to avoid surgery on these things because I don't have insurance nor the money to get it done. And almost unanimously it was suggested to try Turmeric powder mixed with tea tree oil applied directly to the abscesses. I've been doing that for 2 days at night as well as taking a 500mg turmeric supplement every morning. I'm currently at the end of night 2, and right now I'm pretty miserable. My brain is telling me that it has to get worse before it gets better and that this is a sign of it coming to a head so it will burst.. but I'm just not sure...

I'm going to keep doing what I'm doing to see where we end up, but I really want to avoid surgery if possible. I just cannot afford it or the trauma it would cause me and my business right now.

Any advice or suggestions are appreciated.

I'm also sitting in hot tub water for 10-20 minutes.

I have similar problem now. I'm doing warm water compress with epsom salt and drops of lavender oil (anti-septic). I find the compress easier (less time consuming) than the epsom salt Sitz bath. Also I wash the area with antibacterial soap. How is the turmeric paste with tea tree oil working for you?