• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

First-timer Here

Hello all. This is my first time here. I'm currently 26 and I was "kind of" diagnosed with Crohn's at age 25 ( September of 2014). I say "kind of" diagnosed because my doctor never came right out and said "You have Crohn's" but has frequently conversed with me about Crohn's and the like. Has anyone had a problem with that with their doctors? Anyways, back to the story.

I guess I've had on and off symptoms for years and just never done anything about it until the summer of 2014 when my symptoms were at an all time high (my guess is that it had something to do with the physics 2 class I was taking and the stress). Saw the gastroenterologist on August 26th and came out with an appointment for a colonoscopy on September 18th. I knew when the doctors office called me only 4 days after the procedure that something wasn't right. The areas of inflammation were consistent with Crohn's. I definitely was in shock. I don't think I'm over that shock still.

Dr. put me on anti-inflammatories. First was a rather large pill which I can't remember the name of (1.2 GRAMS). I couldn't take them so next was Delzicol (400 mg x 4 daily). I was on these until I became ill with what I thought was a cold in November two weeks before Thanksgiving. There were two incidences of vomiting and what appeared to be blood. The following week on Thanksgiving I had a terrible episode of epigastric pain. It burned and gnawed from the left to the right side of my body. The only thing that made the pain better was sleep. I was fine the next day. I was feeling a bit off from the time I had gotten the cold as well. I had a dr. appt the next week and mentioned the incidents to her. She told me to decrease to 2 anti-inflammatories a day, put me on Zantac (150 mg), and ordered up an abdominal ultrasound and endoscopy (EGD).

Needless to say I wasn't happy to find out I had to have more testing. The abdominal ultrasound went ok, but I received a call from the doctors office the same day stating I had some abnormal results. I have an enlarged pancreatic duct and they ordered yet another test. This time it was an MRCP. EGD went normal and did not hear back anything abnormal from that. Fast forward a bit to present day. I still have this cold thing (from November 2014). The doctor herself called me last week to update me with results from the MRCP. It was abnormal. I was asked many questions about my pancreas, which as far as I knew I'd never had any problems. I am now scheduled for an endoscopic ultrasound later this month.

I looked up the side effects for Delzicol. What I have had: Stomach pains, diarrhea, runny nose, flatulence, upset stomach, and flu-symptoms. Whether what I am experiencing is from the medication or not is unknown, but I would like to know! I still struggle daily with acceptance of this disease. I am trying to change my lifestyle and habits to reflect healthier ones for the sake of feeling better and getting better.

I was also reading on a thread here before I registered that someone's daughter developed pancreatitis while being on this medication and went off of it. Anyone else have this problem or any insights? I apologize for the long, long post, but if anyone would understand this and what I'm going through best, it would be here.

Hello Mysty84. Some doctors will not explain everything and is up to us to ask questions. For your next appointment take a list of all your questions. It is very hard at first to accept you have a disease but it will get better once you are in remission. In my opinion sometimes you have to try medicines and see what work best for you and does not give you a lot of side effects. Talk to your doctor about changing meds if you are not feeling good with the one you are on right know. Good luck with your ultrasound.