• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

First Timer

I'm new to the forum. I've had a crohns for 15 years now with not many complications. That is until a week ago. I got some really bad cramps, nauseas,and started throwing up bile. I left work and just went to hang at home. The pain then got bad so I went to the ER. Turns out I had a perforated bowel and they had to do surgery. They took out 2 feet of small intestine. I'm making a good recovery and they say everything looks great. Should be out of here in a couple days. My question is... What next? I've never taken anything hardcore. Prednisone, asacol, pentasa, that's it. They're trying to get me on remicade or humira. Pretty aggressively actually. I've had 3 GI's already come talk to me and they called me. When I mention alternatives they won't even talk about it. WTH? Seems like they're trying to sell the crap out of it. Going to try and find another GI. Has anyone tried LDN? I'm curious. Thanks all

Hi BranDoza & Welcome to the Forum:

Sounds like things turned really quickly for you with having surgery so quickly and then having your GI recommend Remicade or Humira as your long term treatment plan. My daughter has been on lots of meds during the past five years, Remicade being the latest one, and when that stopped working after a couple of years they were pushing for her to jump right over to Humira, but we decided against it so at this point we are trying to control her symptoms with vitamin therapy, primarily Vitamin D3 along with cofactors like Folic acid, magnesium & zinc. To read more about vitamin therapy, check out this string: http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?p=627519#post627519

Good luck as you decide what to do next. Deciding on a treatment plan is a personal choice that each of us need to make and it's not an easy decision as there is so much you need to consider. Please continue to post here to let us know how you are doing.

Take care.

Lisa :ghug:

I was in a somewhat similar situation to you. I had about two feet of smaller intestine removed in 2003. Back then doctors didn't even suggest biologics, but started me on aza as the standard long term treatment. Since then things have been remission to no remission and back for many years. For the last year though things have been really good.

In 2010 I was thinking about remicade instead of aza. My GI back then said I could try remicade if I want, but because aza initially worked, I should just go back on that (I had phased aza out from 2008 to 2010, with eventually bad results).

If I were in your shoes I would initially try aza or mp6 and get the Crohn under control through diet, sport etc. you can always start with biologics if aza/mp6 doesn't work.

By the way, pentasa hardly ever works... I wonder why it's still prescribed.

Your goal should be to not require prednisode or ther cortisone drugs because those or the worst thing you can take. I'd take aza and even biologics to get into remission any time over regular use of prednisode to just fight flare ups.

Thanks for the words and support guys. They let me out of the hospital last night. First night was rough at home. Didn't sleep well and in a little pain. It's kind of rough moving around. They make everything so handie cap friendly in the hospital, but definitely not at home. It'll just keep getting better, right? Staples come out in a week. Woo hoo! I'll definitely be doing lots of research while I'm down, so I'm sure more questions will arise.

Thanks for the words and support guys. They let me out of the hospital last night. First night was rough at home. Didn't sleep well and in a little pain. It's kind of rough moving around. They make everything so handie cap friendly in the hospital, but definitely not at home. It'll just keep getting better, right? Staples come out in a week. Woo hoo! I'll definitely be doing lots of research while I'm down, so I'm sure more questions will arise.
Glad you're home. Just ask away when you have more questions & take it slow.

First day was rough, but it's going to get better. I will beat this. Just want these damn staples out so I can move around better. Dang