• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Fish oil? Krill oil?

So I was taking regular fish oil, which has both EPA, and DHA. Then I heard your supposed to take 9 standard fish oil caps per day, for optimum health, and that there was 1 available, which has the equivalent of 9 in 1. So I asked at the chemist, which that is, and the guy told me wild krill is best. I just read the box now, and it says, take 9 per day, for optimum heart health, and that each capsule, is equiv to 47mg of EPA, and 28mg of DHA. My regular fish oil, is 180 EPA, 120 DHA. I feel like an idiot for not looking at my fish oil first, and reading what krill has that's supposedly better, before getting the krill. But by my calculations, 3 of my regular fish oil capsules, is like 9 of the krill. So why is krill so much more expensive? I'm going to take my fish oil in the morning as usual, and take krill with dinner, as I'm hoping over the next few months, probiotics and healthier eating help ease more of the D, but can any of you tell me...is it just best to take the regular fish oil, if it has so much more EPA and DHA?

The selling point often mentioned for krill oil is that it absorbs better than regular fish oil. This is thought to be due to krill oil being a decent source for phospholipids. That is one of the main reasons why krill oil fans will say it is better then fish oil as less of it needs to be taken. (Krill also does not give the yuck fish oil burp.)

There are two ways to determine if you taking enough fish oil or krill oil. The first being to simply test your triglyceride levels. Your primary physician can arrange this. Fish oil and krill are both able to lower triglyceride levels substantially. Personally I would take enough fish oil and/or krill oil to reach a triglyceride testing score of 45 or lower. Some people are able to reach that testing level with 2000mgs of EPA/DHA a day from fish oil. Others require significantly more from what I've read. (I personally take around 2000mgs of EPA/DHA a day)

It is a harder test to find, but the other test that can be helpful is to find out your omega 3 index. Thought this a nice article on that.

"Omega-3 Index: 10% or greater?"

http://blog.trackyourplaque.com/2010/02/omega-3-index-10-or-greater.html

I've read that Dr. Eades is a fan of krill oil. He takes it, and has written about krill oil studies. For example ~

"Krill oil and inflammation"

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/inflammation/krill-oil-and-inflammation/

Yes, little to no mercury in krill oil from what I've seen. That's a nice plus. Krill are low on the food chain totem pole and as a result have little chance of accumulating high mercury levels.

I currently have a bottle of Now Foods 500mg Nepture Krill oil in the fridge. I typically take two capsules in the morning, along with some fish oil.

I do not believe it would be a problem to refrigerate krill oil. Krill is more stable than fish oil from going rancid, but it would not hurt if kept cool - at least I would not think that to be the case. Possibly there is something that says different.

There can be a problem with softgels in a freezer though. What happens is when a softgel/ gelcap is frozen the small amount of water in the capsule expands causing the capsule to become brittle and leak.

Additionally, krill oil is a thicker material and could be more difficult to encapsulate. What can happen with a low viscus material is when filling the gelatin capsule, the injector nozzle can dribble. When that happens, while the capsule is being closed, it closes down upon the oil stringer not forming a strong seal with the gelatin. I suppose when cold, a poor seal will be more likely to leak.

Looking and feeling my refrigerated krill softgels, I don't notice any leaks. They look to be good.

In a previous life I worked with encapsulation vitamin companies.

Thanks for that. I heard some fish oils hve mercury, and bought a really good one to beggin with. It's mercury tested, and passed, it has a 100% guarantee after testing, and 1000mg of omega 3 in each capsule. It's the biosis one, and until I heard krill is better, I actually thought I had the best of the fish oil, as far as EPA and DHA. I think I'll keep taking fish oil. :)

Thanks for that. I heard some fish oils hve mercury, and bought a really good one to beggin with. It's mercury tested, and passed, it has a 100% guarantee after testing, and 1000mg of omega 3 in each capsule. It's the biosis one, and until I heard krill is better, I actually thought I had the best of the fish oil, as far as EPA and DHA. I think I'll keep taking fish oil. :)
I've heard different stories about the quality of fish oil. Some will say it makes a huge difference, and others not being as concerned. Personally when I worked with fish oil over a decade ago at this point, expensive or cheap fish oil would both test low for mercury content. We found our main concern was the rancidity of the oil. Basically, for an individual with out lab equipment, if the fish oil smells, well, overly fishy, best to not take. I personally buy inexpensive fish oil and do well with it.

This isn't very comforting, but have read of a lawsuite a few years ago about PCBs testing high in some fish oil brands sold in the US, in the state of California. Not sure how this was resolved, and if it was even much of a problem. Here in the US some people or groups will bring law suites to gain attention or look to win money. My guess is that is what was going on here, looking for money, but who knows, maybe there was a legitimate problem needing to be resolved.

"Lawsuit claims PCBs found in 10 fish oil supplements; product labeling sought"

http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_14501591/

The omega 3 content of your capsules are 180/120. That is standard. There are distilled capsules with higher EPA/DHA content, but 180/120 is the basic material sold in stores. What most will do is add the two numbers together, 300 in this case. So to reach 1800mgs of omega 3s a day from fish oil you want to take 6 capsules. Taking 9 capsules a day shouldn't be a problem either I would think. What I do is take the fish oil through out the day. I'm afraid if I took it all at once I'd develop a belly ache.

David

Co-Founder
I ordered and received my krill oil today. Hoo boy do they stink. Sniffing the open bottle made me gag. First pill popped though! I'm hoping they help with my costochondritis.

Go go magical shrimp juice!

"magical shrimp juice" LOL

Great information in this thread. I've often wondered what I should be going for when it comes to omega 3's. I just got some neptune krill oil. I look forward to seeing what the difference is between these and what I was taking before.

Hi I do research for my customers. I work in a pharmacy, we have an extensive vitamin and supplement area which I oversee. This question is for David. What study cites you should not put krill in the refrigerator? Thanks.

P.S. I have a customer whose child has a bad case of crohn's currently on probiotics. Cultrelle and dananimals yogurt. Mayo is currently doing a study on the dananimal product. I'm looking into enzymes right now.

David

Co-Founder
Hi Nan,

I can't cite a study, but from Dr. Mercola (and many other sites):
Antarctic Pure Krill Oil is more stable and more resistant to rancidity than conventional fish oils.* This means it will last longer. It will last for TWO years at room temperature. (Please do not refrigerate.)
And
extended exposure to temperatures higher than 100 degrees or lower than 50 degrees diminish effectiveness of the phosopholipid ingredients

Thanks David, I was being lazy, than looking for myself, I love Dr. Mercola did not remember reading this. I love the fact he has been on Dr. Oz.

Hi Ethan
just a little label info since fish oil labels can be deceiving. The mg amt. on the front of label does not usually indicate true amt. of EPA and DHA the active omega 3's fatty acids( think of it as omega 3 if the family name EPA, DHA, are two of the kids there are others.) look at serving size
ex: 1 then look for EPA 400mg DHA 200MG to determine dosage add the EPA and DHA together taking into account serving size. I recommend to my customers to call manufacturer on the process used, if there is any heat involved and the amount of oxygen exposure.

Did you guys see result with krill oil? I was looking into nutra origin or source naturals neptune krill oil any of you tryed them?

David

Co-Founder
I am taking Neptune Krill Oil. My costochondritis (think arthritis of the chest) has lessened a LOT while on it. Whether it has helped or not I don't know as I am utilizing many other treatments as well.

Is it possible to have a fish oil without omega 6? I saw on this forum that omega 6 is bad for inflammation? I found this one nutra origin omega 3 krill oil high potency if you look at their ingredient table they have no omega 6 is that even possible?

I was wondering if the krill or fish oil is better than the vegetarian non fish based omega 3 for crohns?