• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Fish Oil ?'s

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
I currently don't take any vitamins or supplements, but I am thinking perhaps it is the time to start. I have tried a daily women's vitamin, but it really made my stomach upset. So, I am going to try a Flintstone or something easier on the gut, as suggested by my doctor.

I also thought I'd give fish oil a shot. I notice many take fish oil being it is a natural anti-inflammatory. But I have a few questions:

1. What type do you suggest? I read some take basic fish oil while others take cod liver oil. Is there a big difference between the two?

2. Dosage?

3. Did you see any improvement?

Thanks, as always!

Astra

Hiya Jill

I have Seven Seas Cod Liver oil with Omega3 and Vitamin D, one a day
No fishy burps with these cos they are expensive.
Bog standard ones taste horrible with fishy burps, you only get what you pay for!
I've been taking them for years, dunno if they work or not, but I feel really well at the mo, except for my headaches!
xxx

I take a tablespoon of liquid fish oil every morning. Wretched stuff, and like Astra, no fishy burps throughout the day. Great source for Omega 3's!

My GI told me since fish oil has become popular people have come out with many fancy types and formulations, but as long as you get enteric coated fish oil you're good to go.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hey Jill,

I have looked into this, with Matt in mind, and decided to go to Krill Oil instead. Just seemed a better product to me. He hasn't started yet though, I think I will need to do a bit convincing to get him to agree to take another pill! :lol:

Dusty. xxx

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Jill, I've recently made the switch from fish oil to krill oil. I got a rancid bottle of fish oil - like Joan said, you get what you pay for. I used to just buy the cheapest bottle of fish oil I could get, but after I got one that was rancid, I was pretty put off. (I could tell it was rancid because it smelled awfully fishy, like rotting fish, when the bottle claimed "odorless", and also the capsules were cloudy when normally they're clear.) So after that, with a few bumps in the road, I switched to krill oil. It's kind of expensive and not super easy to find - neither Target nor Whole Foods carries krill oil, but Walgreens does and you can get it online at various sites too. I think the one I got was about $25 for the bottle and I happened to get it when they had a buy one get one free sale going on at Walgreens, so the cost wasn't too terribly steep. I've only been taking it for a couple of weeks so it's too soon to say if it's made a difference, but from what I've read it is harder for krill oil to go rancid than it is for fish oil. That alone makes it worth it to me! Good luck with whatever you decide to go with!

As far as the "vitamin" part of your question,
NatureMade makes a Multi for Her LIQUID SOFTGEL.

They are great, they dissolve quickly and therefore you get all of the vitamins and minerals that you actually pay for.

And as long as the Omega oils you buy are Enteric Coated, you don't have to worry about the fishy burps....