• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Fish oil

My endocrinologist has advised me to start taking fish oil for my triglycerides. All he said was to take 1-2 a day of the 1000 mg pills. I don't know anything about fish oil, except that I've heard of people having increased belching with taking it and having a bad taste in the mouth. Are there certain kinds or brands of fish oil that help prevent this? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Lisa

Hey Lisa,

I've been using fish oil for about 9 months now, 2400mg 2 pills a day. The brand I use is Rexall and I got it from Walmart. I haven't had any of the after tastes or fishy burps since I have been on it. I have heard that some do leave the fishy taste/burp but honestly I not familiar with any other one's, so I can't say if there is another that may be better than the one I'm on. I hope this is of some help for you.

There are fish/flax oil pills gel caps that will keep you from tasting it as it goes down. I never noticed any benefit other than my good cholesterol levels being exceptionally high.

my son is on 6 fish oil a day, he is twelve, and was diagnosed in December with Crohn's. 3 in the morning and 3 at night. Put them in the freezer and this keeps you from burping them up. you want to get the pureset kind you can get.

Good luck.

The best you can get is actual fich oil, not the pills. It doesn't have too bad of a taste, it's kind of lemony, but it does have a very oily texture so you may want to drink something afterwards to wash it down. Good luck

Well I went this weekend and got omega-3 enteric coated fish oil 1000 mg pills. So far I'm not having any burping or fishy taste, but it's only been 2 days (I'll remember the tip about putting them in the freezer, though!). Thanks for all your responses.

Lisa

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
I have heard that the burping can be from a less pure form of the oil or that some people have trouble digesting the pure oil initially (and therefore you should introduce the oil into your diet slowly to help your body cope with it). I am not sure which (if either) is correct though.

I take a teaspoon on most days in the morning and initially felt that it did make me feel a bit better mood-wise. Now I dont notice any health or mental differences, however I no longer miss more than a few days between taking the oil.

Thanks Mike. I am starting it slowly, just starting with 1 pill, and will increase to 2 later on. I didn't see any liquid form, just the pills.

I'v also been taking fish oil for a while; don't know if it helps but it doesn't hurt also. If you are concerned about the taste, try to find enteric coated capsules that break down far below in the intestines. Studies also showed these are more useful for Crohn's patients since they reach where they are needed....

http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/full/334/24/1557

fish oil actualy had a reverse effect on me. it acted as a diarhetic, and also made my arthritus worse(??????????????????????)

i only ever realised this when i was to broke to purchase more for two weeks, and all my symptoms got better?????????

its weird, and a lil back wards, but just thought i'd put it here for your info.

Interesting, Jed! Well I'm anxious to see if it will help me or not (especially my triglycerides). I've been taking 1000 mg a day for 1-1/2 weeks now and am going to increase to 2000 mg a day.

Hope you are doing well with the smoking challenge!

Lisa

Fish Oil is not supposed to taste "fishy". If it does, it is probably rancid.

If you use Krill Oil instead, you do not have to take as much and Krill do not store Mercury like bigger creatures. It has all of the same benefits of regular fish oil.

I buy my Krill Oil from Dr. Mercola's site. He seems to be quite picky about what he sells.

Dan

I take Boots Omega 3 Fish Oil 1000mg one a day capsules. Not really sure if they have done anything or not to be honest. Can't say I feel any better for them, but I guess they're not going to be some instant cure.

They don't have any taste to them luckily, I can imagine it's not nice having a fishyness in your mouth all day long. The capsules aren't half huge though!

It makes my joints more limber and makes me a bit sharper mentally. If you take fishoil together with/just before a meal, you wont burp it up. It makes my stomach more regular aswell. However none of these effects are very noticable, but i think they're there.

BE CAREFUL with choosing wich brand of fish oil you get. There is actually no rules about making and marketing fish oil (and rarely is in the food suppliment buisness). In Sweden there was a scandal with companies using rotted fish oil that was left-over from factory processes. This can be harmful to take, and there are currently no laws in place against it. Probably nowhere in the world because of the nature of the food-suppliment buisness where everyting is basicly legal untill someone gets killed from it.