• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Fistula Advancement Flap Surgery - Anyone had this done?

:confused2:
Hey everyone,
I have a pereianal fistula that runs out my bum cheek next to my anus. I've had the absesses that caused the fistula drained twice, both under general anesthetic, they then put a Setton in. I had the Setton in for 6 weeks, then went back into hospital and had the Setton replaced with a new one. Now, another 6 weeks later, they are telling me that I need to have the Fistula Advancement Flap surgery, but that it only has a 40% chance of working.
I'm 32, single and a female and am finding it hard to cope with wearing pads everyday, and it obviously affects every part of your life, exercise, love life etc. I do not have CD.
Is there anyone out there in the same situation as me?
Has anyone got any success stories for this type of surgery? Or of any other procedures?
Can anyone give me ANY advice or words of wisdom??

Hi Jackson,

Sorry to hear of your problems. I have had the advancement flap surgery done twice on a rectovaginal fistula. It is not a very invasive surgery...was done outpatient both times. The first time the fistula returned within a year, but keep in mind that I do have Crohn's disease, which is likely why it returned. I had the second surgery in October and the recovery was a little worse than the first time, but it seems to be doing the trick so far (although i think I may be developing another in a differnt location). I have posted extensively on here regarding my surgery...search the threads for fistula and rectovaginal fistula. I can give you more info if you have specific questions...just ask.

Hi Jackson,

I had the same fistula as you do, butt cheek to anus - also due to an internal abscess, and the same one that Shadycat had, rectal-vaginal, at the same time. Both were pooping constantly and uncontrollably. Mine was an extreme case, though, because I also had so much else wrong with me. On January 6th of this year I had an ostomy surgery performed and the doctor removed the intestine that was connected to those fistula areas. As I said, mine was an extreme case and I had to have 1/3 of my small intestine removed and I no longer have any intestine in my pelvic region. However, it did the trick. I no longer suffer from fistulas THANK GOD and my health is quickly returning. I can go on the treadmill for 45 minutes on a regular basis whereas before I couldn't stand long enough to wash a dish. Good luck to you and I hope you get answers soon. Sharon

Thank you so much for your answers!!

I'm hoping that because I don't have CD, I'll be in the higher success rate. But I'm going to see if I can wait another couple of months to have the flap surgery because I've been told the longer you leave the setton in, so the tissue is healthier, the better chance you have of the flap surgery working.

I do have a Colorectal Surgeon, but because I'm going through the public health system, I have had a different surgeon each time I've been into hospital. They changed the settons after 6 weeks because they put me under general anesthetic so they could have a look to see how it was all healing, and decided to change the setton while they were there.

I am on the waiting list now for the flap surgery, so am just waiting to hear when I will be going into hospital. I've also been told that you need to take 3 to 4 weeks off work after the surgery and have complete bed rest. Makes it very hard to pay the bills!!