• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Fistula caused by foreign body?

Hi from North Queensland in Australia. I do not have Crohn's or IBD so only suffer from the direct effects of a Complex Fistula. I am 55, female and started this journey just over 2 years ago. 14 surgeries later, I am left with an open perianal fistula wound as well as an untreatable intersperetic fistula (MRI says from 3 to 8 o'clock). Since they removed the seton I've been advised that there is no more they can do. No LIFT, Flap, Glue etc. In April 2015 during a trip to surgery where they changed the VAC dressings they left the black foam in the horseshoe wound and packed more on top. The error was not picked up for four months as I am one of the small percentage of people who do not present with medically recognized normal signs of infection. No high fevers or vomiting. I have since had three surgeries to remove the foam from both sides of my buttocks, and a seton placement for 8 months which was removed last December. The fistula is still draining and the pain from the untreatable fistula is constant. I am incontinent. Can't work and struggle with depression. Reading this forum I realise that I am not alone and that I am lucky I do not have Crohn's or IBD to contend with as well. My heart and thoughts go out to all of you. Is there anyone else who has a fistula caused by a foreign body?

Last edited:
I do not, but I didn't want your post to go unanswered. I hope your pain is relieved or at least lessened soon. I hope they compensated you for their egregious error. *hugs*