• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Fistula cured

A few months after I had surgery for a peri-anal abscess, I developed a very painful fistula. The doctor would give me cipro and flagl, which would rid me of the infection, but it would always return. After several months of suffering I agreed to have surgery. Everything I read about the surgery and post surgery was that it was a nightmare. A week before my surgery I called my doctor and told him I couldn't go through with the surgery. I told him I was going to try to control or cure it through diet. I stopped eating meat, drinking alcohol and starting taking ghee, homeopathic medicines and anything else that I read about that would give me some relief. Nothing worked and I was back on flagl and cipro. Then a pharmacist told me that after each bowel movement to always wipe with moist towelettes, which I was already doing, and to put table salt in the warm sitz bath that I also took after each bowel movement. That was in August yof 2013. It is now January 2014 and I have not had any problems with the fistula. I don't even know if it is still there and I am no longer on any diet restrictions. I wanted to share this with anyone who is suffering from a fistula or knows someone who has one. I still put a 1/2 cup of salt in my warm bath (usually about 6 inches of water) after each bowel movement and I do not have any problems. I hope this helps others as it has helped me.

nogutsnoglory

Happy that has worked for you. I did the same thing but mine didn't resolve unfortunately. I do believe though that this is a good idea to try and can only help not hurt if the wiping is gentle.

Saline solution has been used for many years and is one of the old wives tales that actually works!more important if it doesn't,t it's harmless.