• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Fistula formation after ostomy surgery

So 16 days ago I had a permanent colostomy surgery done. I had many Peri anal fistulas that were not responding to medication. I have two wounds where the fistulas were that we are packing to heal from the inside out. About 4 days ago the drainage increased and I even started to have drainage from where my rectum used to be (it was sewn up). I swear I felt like I passed gas through the "old" fistula tonight. Could it be possible for my bowel to have found its way down to that fistula tract??? I do still have my JP drain that is putting out at least 75 ML of fluid a day. Has anyone had a PERMANENT colostomy and still developed Peri anal fistulas? I have a call in to the surgeons office, hoping to hear back from them tomorrow. Any input would really be appreciated.

Last edited:
I don't think it is completely impossible for you to have a fistula. I also have a permanent colostomy. The perineal wound is difficult to heal. I don't think you should be having a lot of drainage if you still have the JP drain in. Sometimes fluid can collect (an abscess) right in the area where the rectum used to be causing pain and excess drainage through the wound. Did you hear back from the surgeon? What did they say?

Well, they ended up opening up the incision a little to allow drainage to come out. I have since been told that my surgeon created a flap with uterine wall in order to stop fistula formation. They have put me on antibiotics. We are doing irrigation and packing changes three times a day. They are totally confident this will heal. The old fistula tract and the opening they made on the incision are connected. If you shoot saline in one hole it comes out the other. What a frustrating process. I am now four weeks post op, I just figured things would be progressing a little more. How long after your surgery could you say that you were pain free or I guess how long before you did not need narcotics for pain?

nogutsnoglory

It is possible to still develop abscesses and fistulas in the anal area after diversion. It's less likely hence the reason for surgery. There was a user here who developed them after surgery. I'll try to find that post for you.