• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Fistula?! It comes so fast!

My symptoms, diarrhea and bellyache, began in early 2011. They were "cured" as I thought, but reappeared one year ago and some months later I was diagnosed with CD.

But I was not prepared for complications like fistula. Today the doctor tells me the reason I feel uncomfortable with my anus is abscess and perhaps fistula. He suggested surgery until I told him about CD.

My question is, can I get rid of the fistula? It is embarrassing and disturbs my life. Can I break the abscess myself and let the pus out?

I have been taking Mesalazine for about 10 months. And now Cefradine is added to help my fistula (if it is able to). I feel really bad when the bellyache comes intermittently, and now worse because a new pain joins.
Thank you for reading all this. There are not many CD patients in my country so I find it helpful to discuss here :)

sawdust

Hello DavidXU. I'm sorry to hear you're having a rough time. I don't have all the answers for you, but I wanted to reply here and encourage you to work closely with your doctor for the treatment of your abscess. Have you had a CT scan or MRI so your GI can see where the abscess is?

In our Ask the Experts forum, there is an interview called Coordinated Patient Care and the Surgical Management of Inflammatory Bowel Disease. There are subsections dedicated to abscesses and perianal disease that i hope you find helpful. :hug: