• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Fistula Plug

I currently have a seton suture due to a fistula that I've had for quite some time already (feels like forever). Anyway, my surgeon (who has drained a couple of abscesses in the past) has decided that a silicon fistula plug is what I need. Has anyone had this procedure done already? The surgeon said it's the next step for me and it's 'newish' on the medical scene and the next option for me.
Has anyone had a fistula plug procedure done and if yes has it been effective?
I feel a bit like I'm in the dark because when I asked the surgeon some questions about it I don't think she understood my questions and I feel as if she was a bit huffy with me as because I'm a 'mere non-medical jargon speaking mortal!!' I haven't found that much info on the internet for it?
Any feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks

Oooh. Not heard of using a silicone plug! I did have fibrin glue for mine which worked very well indeed. Maybe you could ask your surgeon why she isn't recommending it - so your not a 'mere non-medical jargon speaking mortal' after all! :)

They make sense. I've heard of three people who had the procedure done, but they were within the last six months, so I don't know about long-term good/bad results.

Daisy,

Do you have any more information regarding the procedure itself (sedation, recovery, etc.)? I have had two flap repair surgeries in the past 4 years for a rectovaginal fistula and now it appears as though I have another between the vaginal and anal area. I have been hesitant to contact my surgeon about it because I don't want to go through another flap surgery because the last time recovery was long and painful and, apparently, only temporary. This sounds like a good alternative. Any info you can give me would be very much appreciated : )

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
Cookie - on at least one of the websites I listed above they have a FAQ section which talks about surgery and recovery etc....looks like less recovery time and 'easier' procedure....less trauma to the body (no cutting) also.....

Paso - thanks for those links most helpful and also good to have a visual sometimes my imagination runs wild when I don't know what the 'something' looks like that the docs are talking about.

Cookie - I definitely will be sedated -as confirmed by the surgeon on the day of my consultation. She didn't provide much info re: recovery time but I will be have a pre-assessment done next week at which time I can get that info - which is obviously vital. I will be travelling in early Feb '11 by which time I'm hoping that the wound would have healed - that's me been optimistic!!
I hope you don't have to have more surgery because even though in the long run it's for your benefit it's just to intrusive, awkward given the location and then never knowing how long recovery / healing will be given that we're all different.

I'll keep you'll posted once I've had the procedure done.....thanks

I had a plug for fistula not sure what type it was - it did not work for me, I developed an abcess within a week at the site of the plug. Silicon sounds like it may work better.