• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Fistula with seton drain - is this normal??

Hi, looking for some advice.

TMI warning... My story started in Aug where I was dianogsed with an intersphinter abscess after noticing pus leaking from my back passage along with pain of course.. I had emergency surgery but it returned 2 weeks later. More emergency surgery only for it to return roughly two weeks later again. At this point I was diagnosed with a fistula and had a seton drain fitted.

That was almost 10 weeks ago and I’m just waiting on my appointment for a fistulotomy to hopefully put this nightmare to rest once and for all but for the past two weeks I’ve been experiencing pain in a different location down there. Nothing as severe as the abscesses but painful none the less, it’s like a deep knawing pain with the occasion stabbing pain.

Today, I was pretty sore so decided to have a look and for the first time since before having the seton placed, I noticed pus leaking from the back passage again. The seton does go through the back passage and through an incision in the perianal area. I have had leakage from the perianal area since it was fitted but not from the back until today.

Is this something I should be worried about or does it sound normal?

I hope I’ve made sense and sorry again for tmi!!

Thanks for reading

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
If you have additional pain and pus, it is an indication of infection continuing/returning.

I would give the doctors office a call and let them know what is going on.

I agree with Lisa. Having a fistula (no seton placement, but had surgery), it sounds like infection has retuned. Call your dr. and see what he/she wants to do next. Are you taking antibiotics for this as well?

Thank you both for getting back to me.

I will give my dr a call today and see what they want me to do.

No I was never given any antibiotics 😬

x

The long-wearing seton could be causing a fissure in your rectum. The pain sounds about right. Same response in the end though: see your surgeon ASAP.