• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Fistula

I went to the doctors today and I have blood in urine. I have come home and notice what I think is a couple of fistulas. I had an abscess 2 weeks ago and was prescribed antibiotics which worked. Do you have to have surgery for fistula? I am still yet to be diagnosed with Crohn's.

cmack

Staff member
I went to the doctors today and I have blood in urine. I have come home and notice what I think is a couple of fistulas. I had an abscess 2 weeks ago and was prescribed antibiotics which worked. Do you have to have surgery for fistula? I am still yet to be diagnosed with Crohn's.
Hi Louise,

Usually surgery is required for a fistula, however a small percentage will heal with proper wound care, and/or with certain medications. I would make an appointment to show the doctor right away and get his/her opinion. It is not uncommon for an abscess to cause a fistula, and antibiotics are not really the best way of dealing with an abscess. Usually they need to be drained and packed along with a course of antibiotics before and after the drainage procedure. Best of luck with everything and feel free to ask anything you would like to know.

Last edited: