• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Fistula's and colectomies...

fistula's and colectomies...

Does anybody have any experience with fistula's that weren't a direct result of crohn's...can a person have a fistula from IBS, or even colitis?? Also, if a person did have a perianal fistula that didn't want to heal, can a person still get a j-pouch after a colectomy??

Hi,

One of the guys I work with ended-up with a fistula as a consequence of a perianal abscess. No IBD and low down on the sphincter muscle, so they just layed it open and let it heal. He's been fine ever since.

Mark

Hi B-rad. Sorry for bringing this thread back.

I didn't notice it until today :S Fistulas can happen to anyone at all. They're just more common in non-IBD patients. I'm not sure about the J-pouch. I'd think that they would want to leave it as a stoma until the fistula was dealt with. I'm not sure. It'd be something you'd have to ask your doc.