• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Fistulas and odor

I haven't been diagnosed with a fistula but pretty sure I have one above my rectum. When I have a BM there seems to be some feces from this area. Even after bathing I have a strange odor from that area. When I wipe it itches alot back there. It doen's hurt me but the odor is what bothers me the most. If anyone has anything like this, please reply as to how you handled it.

theOcean

It's possible it could be a fistula, yes. Are you able to look at all?

If you suspect that's what it is you should contact your GI immediately since they can be very dangerous if left untreated. You would need medication and possibly surgery (fistulotomy with possible seton placement).

welcome aboard wellsy. Please consider talking to a GI or colorectal surgeon about this. It has been my experience that it is beyond a general practitioners scope. I have had them want look at mine out of curiosity and I had one that could not explain what a seton is, how it works or how it is placed.

as for smell, are you leaking in between bms? I would use a cotton ball, gauze etc place against the opening and a panty liner in your underwear. Other than than keep it clean, consider a barrier cream like calmoseptine. Some have suggested dryer sheets in the back pocket